Laptop for my dad

hdmark

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
Good morning all ! I do have another thread with this, but it has been solved (link at bottom). I have new information and with new pricing id rather start a new thread (mods, if you can merge, that would be useful).

Looking for a laptop for my dad.
1. What is your budget?
- $1500 USD including 3 year in home warranty (in home is a deal breaker)
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
- 17" screen requirement
3. What screen resolution do you want?
- 1080p required. anything less and it will be a downgrade, anything more he wont be able to read it
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
- doesnt matter
5. How much battery life do you need?
- doesnt matter, plugged in at all times
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
- no games, just smooth streaming
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
- purely browsing and streaming. routinely has 20 chrome tabs open , 2 to 5 of them with steams running (he watches A LOT of tv)
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
- 500gb minimum. SSD not required but if its a hdd ill need room in the budget to toss in an 850 or 950 evo
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
- manufacturer's seem to be the only places that offer in home warranties
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
- 5 year ideally
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
- bluray ideally, however external is fine if its a better/slim laptop
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
- any brand as long as it has an in home warranty
13. What country do you live in?
- usa
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
- his current laptop is a 17" toshiba (they used to offer in home warranties) with a 2nd or 3rd i7. I believe the only real upgrade would be a 4th or 6th gen HQ i5 or i7.
- definitely needs 16gb or upgradeable to 16gb of ram with the amount of junk he runs at one time
- needs in home warranty. id love to get him an msi or asus, but he is set on in home warranty

im currently looking at the lenovo y700 or 700, or the dell inspiron 2 in 1, as those seem like the only companies that provide in home warranties these days. ANY other suggestions would be greatly appreciated though.

and yes ive tried to get him into a desktop but he wont budge even though he rarely moves his laptop ever

link to previous thread
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3190843/laptop-dad.html?xtor=EREC-8889

Solution
I Use a Y700 for travel. It is a very nice machine.
I paid perhaps half your budget for it.

You will have a large number of configuration options.
Pay attention to the screen options. The ips non touch is probably what you want.
A common configuration will have a ssd for the C drive and a 1tb hard drive for storage.
I would opt for more than the base 120gb m.2 ssd for the C drive.
It will come with a very good nvidia discrete graphics chip.
The keyboard is very good.
All in all, a very nice unit.

geofelt

Distinguished
I Use a Y700 for travel. It is a very nice machine.
I paid perhaps half your budget for it.

You will have a large number of configuration options.
Pay attention to the screen options. The ips non touch is probably what you want.
A common configuration will have a ssd for the C drive and a 1tb hard drive for storage.
I would opt for more than the base 120gb m.2 ssd for the C drive.
It will come with a very good nvidia discrete graphics chip.
The keyboard is very good.
All in all, a very nice unit.

Solution