Laptop for Programming?

JustABitSalty

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
I've been trying to find a laptop that I can use for my compsci class. But literally the only things I want skyrocket the price of anything I find.

I'm a second year so im still not doing anything crazy so I dont need a higher end processor or anything, the last 2 gens of mobile i3s would be fine but I literally just want an SSD and atleast 8gb of RAM.

I cant find anything with those two things I want without jumping like $300+ in price with higher end components that I dont need or really want to spend money on. Cant you guys help me find something. I dont mind spending around ~$500 but the less the better.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
You just think you don't need "higher-end components"...
- Don't settle for low-res rubbish 1366x768 screen. 1080p is what you want, now. If you can afford matte screen, get it. You can upgrade almost everything in a laptop, but you can't upgrade the screen, or your eyes. And you're gonna need them (the eyes) for the rest of your life.
- I would rather look at i5 CPU. All these IDEs, VMs etc need good CPU.

R_1

Estimable
Herald
you can add an SSD and RAM to any model you find.

find the processor screen and keyboard you like, you know the laptop. the hard drive can be changed to an SSD. (usually with only six screws - don't quote me - YMMV)
find an inexpensive 2.5 inch SATA SSD to replace the HDD the laptop will ship with. purchase an external Hard Drive Case for the HDD, so you can use it as an external storage solution.

Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-

while properly grounded remove the HDD and install into the external chassis. place the SSD where the HDD was and close the laptop case.
power on laptop and install windows to the new SSD. once windows is installed and updated plug in the external HDD and prepare the drive as needed. save any data, format, what have you.

examples only, not an endorsement, shop around.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0VN-0003-000Z5&cm_re=USB_HDD_case-_-0VN-0003-000Z5-_-Product

You just think you don't need "higher-end components"...
- Don't settle for low-res rubbish 1366x768 screen. 1080p is what you want, now. If you can afford matte screen, get it. You can upgrade almost everything in a laptop, but you can't upgrade the screen, or your eyes. And you're gonna need them (the eyes) for the rest of your life.
- I would rather look at i5 CPU. All these IDEs, VMs etc need good CPU.

Solution