Laptop for School-Gaming-Programming (Razer Blade?)

CraftedElements

Estimable
Mar 30, 2014
Important background information: I'm saving up for college, but I have enough room in my budget for a computer in college, I plan on going to a good college for a degree in computer science or software development. It's always been a dream of mine to Livestream on Twitch. I understand that 95% of livestreamers on Twitch aren't popular, and make no money off of it, and I know the statistics and all, its just, I can't Livestream now because I don't have a schedule and often times can't use my PC at all during the week, and only for a few hours on the weekends.

Also: The current PC I have is really bad, as in bad, I mean a 512mb Video card. I was planning on building my own desktop but I have many reasons why I am now going to buy a laptop. I don't want to carry a huge desktop to college.

I already have one in mind: The Razer Blade Pro 17'. Opinions?
Well I've been looking into getting a Razer Blade Pro 17' (The new version) I know that it's not the best laptop I can get for my budget, but it's EXTREMELY thin and light, and portable, just what I need! Also since design is huge to me, this hits a grand slam! I know that the specs on it can't really compare to an MSI rig for the same price, but I feel it has everything I need! Design, portability, power, and it's overall a great machine!

The other thing I was wondering: Should I buy a laptop soon, or wait until my Senior year? Currently I'm a sophmore, and I really want a gaming computer, but I can wait until my Senior year to buy one, the thing is: Whatever I buy, will be my primary computer in college, and since my planned major is basically reliant on computers, I have to make sure what I have is high-end.

Should I buy the laptop some time this summer? Will a Blade be good in 3-4 years? How about 6 years?

Since I plan on being a developer/programmer, I really really really need the portability, I might build a decent desktop, but I really want to focus on a laptop for now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. What is your budget? Well I've been saving for awhile and can afford a Laptop up to 2,400$

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? I would preffer a 17" screen, but overall I would want a small laptop

3. What screen resolution do you want? Really anything by 1080 is good enough for me, as long as it looks decent.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Very very very portable, as well as a desktop replacement. When I stream I would be hooking it up to my extra monitor, keyboard, mouse and webcam.

5. How much battery life do you need? Anything above 5 hours, I know that if I want a powerful GPU and CPU, my battery can't last 15+ hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I would preffer to play games such as TitanFall, BF4, League of Legends, DayZ, Star Citizen, EvE Online ect. On the highest or second highest settings

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Since I'm planning on going to school for software development, being able to run applications like Netbeans, Eclipe ect. Seamlessly

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Honestly I don't need that big of a HDD, having a SSD is more feasible for me, as I have an external HDD, that I can use.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Razerzone.com

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? As long as possible, at least 4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Doesn't matter

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I would like a reliable brand, I am not really interested in Alienware as in my opinion they are overpriced, and all of their gaming books are bulky.

I like MSI, because of their reliability and design.

Razer, I have a few Razer accessories, and although they are overpriced, I love the brand

Asus, currently I have an Asus laptop that I would be selling in order to get the rest of my budget money, and I've been loving this laptop. If I were to get an Asus, a Zenbook would look nice to me

Any other brand works for me.

13. What country do you live in? USA

All help is appreciated!

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Solution

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade/
this has 3 gb gddr5 video ram but memory is not exclusively what to look to determine a good gpu but the chipset itself.all laptops are being priced near the same price range they will differ but you get what you pay for most of the time.the one in the link above has a 870m.it will give you a average of 37 fps on battlefield 4 on ultra settings.
for more info see the link below.a nice feature of the blade is its aluminum finish.but for performance this thing packs its quite impressive...

MalakiArtook

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014
I'd build a mini PC. it would be twice as powerful for half the price. its not like its that hard to bring a little box with pc parts and a monitor to your dorm... laptops go out of date so fast its crazy so dont buy it now. i got a brand new gaming laptop in 07 that i payed 1300 for and by 2010 i couldn't play new games.

MalakiArtook

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014

In 3 years computes are most likely going to be twice as good. When it come to technology dont buy it till you need it, and dont buy more than you need because you will just end up wasting money.You're only in 10th grade bro, If you drop 2k on a laptop now i promise you will regret it. Who knows where we will be in a few years... Putting all your eggs in the basket banking on technology being roughly where it is now doesn't sound like a good idea to me. For all we know we could be using quantum computers by then :p that's just my 2 cents though :)

JOHNN93

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade/
this has 3 gb gddr5 video ram but memory is not exclusively what to look to determine a good gpu but the chipset itself.all laptops are being priced near the same price range they will differ but you get what you pay for most of the time.the one in the link above has a 870m.it will give you a average of 37 fps on battlefield 4 on ultra settings.
for more info see the link below.a nice feature of the blade is its aluminum finish.but for performance this thing packs its quite impressive.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-gtx-800m-graphics-performance,review-32935-5.html

yes the money you will spend on this laptop is a lot and if you build yourself a gaming rig you definitely would get more performance but you would sacrifice portability.and power consumption.150 watt compact power supply its is impressive.
see reviews and check it out yourself before you buy something.it is your decision and your money.
technology always improves we will always be expecting something new to come around the corner.
if you relay need it go for it or else DON'T DO IT !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0wwLXmYN2A
LOL :)

Solution