Laptop for software development

kraken_99

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
Hello, and thank you for helping me.

1. What is your budget?
Around 800 USD. Preferably under 750.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.6" Full HD. I don't want a touch screen laptop.

3. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
It's to replace my old laptop. (i5 2410m, 4GB, nvidia GT540M)

5. How much battery life do you need?
At least 3 hours.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Only Dota 2, in Low or Medium is alright.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Software development (Android Studio, Visual Studio, etc.). And I am starting to look into Tensorflow, so I think I will need a very good CPU (4 physical cores), or a dedicated GPU.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I will replace it with my personal SSD.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
amazon.com

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-4 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I don't need one.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
My laptop is an Asus and I really didn't have many problems with it. But I am open to any brand.

13. What country do you live in? Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I live in Argentina, but I have to buy it from amazon usa (here costs at least 2x). The problem is the cost to send it back (for replacement/warranty). So I am looking for laptops with good reputation on building quality.

I have been looking and I think the best laptop I can buy is terms of components is the Dell Inspiron i7559 (i5-6300HQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5, 8GB)
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-763BLK-Full-HD-GeForce/dp/B015PYYDMQ/ref=pd_bxgy_147_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PY70ZTP3C1Y15KVS9RC

But maybe is an overkill for my needs? Keep in mind I am still using a 4-5 year old laptop and not having significant performance problems. Is there anything more cheaper and portable for my needs?

Thanks.

---

Update: Any opinions on this one: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-E5-574G-71WB-15-6-inch-Notebook/dp/B019G7VTGQ/ref=sr_1_17?s=pc&srs=2528871011&ie=UTF8&qid=1458141857&sr=1-17&refinements=p_n_operating_system_browse-bin%3A12035945011