Laptop for Someone Computer Challenged

fleurr

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
My father's 10yr old+ PC recently decided to kick the bucket. I was looking for a little feedback on a laptop that would be easy enough to use for someone that does not use the computer much at all. This would be the primary computer in the house.

Here's what he generally would use the old PC for:
- Listening to radio stations over Spotify or Pandora
- Playing the default card games on Windows
- Occasional browsing of information online
- Limited watching of YouTube videos

What he's looking for:
- <$500 price. Ideally under $400, but willing to stretch the budget if it's worthy.
- Easy to use
- Good sound

What I'd like it to have:
- 13in screen size, preferably IPS
- Good keyboard. He does not use the computer often so a crowded keyboard is a no-go
- Bluetooth
- N-Wireless capable (at a minimum)

I've looked into Chromebooks as an option for him as he would always have access to WiFi, but I have no personal experience with them to know how easy it would be for him. The old PC had Windows XP on it, so regardless of which OS is on the system we're looking at a bit of a learning curve.

I'm also not opposed to getting another desktop if that would be the best for him. I do not want to go with a tablet for him as he can hardly handle his iPhone 4.

Any suggestions are welcome!

WebBeachBoy

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012
Ok - I would suggest the following:-

1) Forget your 'budget'. Whilst it is possible to buy a new full size laptop running windows 8.1 for about €250 your father doesn't need it AND he is already familiar with a PC. Why force him to change ?

2) Buy a second hand PC (e.g an ex-lease Dell Optiplex) running windows 7 for about €30. Choose one that has at least 1GB of RAM, 200GB hard disk and 8 USB ports (they will be USB 2 but you can always install a USB 3 card for a minimal price). This will give you the maximum options for plugging in external devices. You can easily plug in an external drive for more storage space. Once you set it up and connect it will log him on automatically every time he switches on.

3) You should be able to find a new blutooth USB dongle for about €5 and a new USB WiFi stick for about €6 which will work perfectly.
4) You can buy any kind of keyboard you like that suits your father but get one second hand online. It's almost impossible to sell / get rid of keyboards. I had 100 NEW keyboards direct from Microsoft still in boxes unopened. I couldn't sell them for even 50c each and had to throw them away in the end ! You should therefore be able to find a keyboard FREE but if you have to buy one pay €1 !!
5) If your father was used to his old PC then he will also be used to the older type of 3x4 monitor so there is no need to buy a newer type letterbox monitor (and have to upgrade all the drivers). As the older shape of LCD monitors are now considered 'old fashioned' (whilst still working perfectly) you should be able to acquire one for about €20 or less.

Your father will have a perfectly working machine which he is familier with for a cost of €40 or less !

13" screen and a large keyboard are not doable, I don't know of any system with a less than 14.1" screen that has a full keyboard size. Even the 14" ones are a bit smaller.

I would get an iPad and a bluetooth keyboard with a bluetooth speaker for good sound. All of that should run $400. Nothing easier to use than that, have 5 icons, click what you want to use. Portable, good screen, as long as the 10" size if OK for him.