laptop for university quad cpu and good battery

Rocwen Colondo

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
Well my budget is up to 1700$
screen resolution 1080x1920
ssd a must (124gb is enough)
16gb ram
A real quad core cpu ( not the U dual ones with hyper threading)
gpu is not needed but then the laptop shouldn't be over 1400$ if it's around 1500-1800 with gpu i suppose it shall have gtx 1060 otherwise i count the gpu non existent
now to the most important part I need the battery to last 6 hours (that's the reason I compromise the gpu part- I couldn't find a gaming laptop with a battery that lasts 6-8 hours otherwise i would buy gaming laptop for 1800$)
I will be studying software engineering.

Solution

With that budget you can get a ThinkPad P50 workstation with decent specs, like this one...
Battery life and lengths are always subject to how your settings are (power setting in windows etc.)

Do you know what software you will be using ?

here is one I spotted;
Dell Inspiron 15 7000, for $1,279.99 free delivery
specifications;
i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
128GB SSD [128GB Solid State Drive] + 1TB 5.4k HDD [1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive]
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
15.6-inch UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED- Backlit Touch Display
802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.2, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1
74WHr, 6-C (Int) [74 WHr, 6-Cell Battery (Integrated)

Rocwen Colondo

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

no idea but let's just say normal web surfing with youtube playing and maybe small code compiling IDE or just leave the code compiling out ( I don't know much about that yet) so let's say multiple tabs at chrome web surfing would this laptop last a good 6 hours ? (don't know which brightness but something good enough for indoors so not very high)

Can you give me websites of which you buy laptops from?

Rocwen Colondo

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

I don't know why that might matter but they are in Hebrew anyone so I guess you can't understand them , and I may purchase from outside the country if it does have international warranty (many asus laptops do for instance)

Rocwen Colondo

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

well I already considered the asus GL702VM but his battery lasts about 3.42 hours at low intensity in power mark which is not good enough , that's the problem with all the gaming computers

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
You can consider battery banks to extend the working hours. But if your intent is to run in battery for 6+ hours with continuous use, you should plug in whenever possible anyway.

Or get a second device to fulfill part of the laptops duties, like a tablet.

Rocwen Colondo

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

6 hours is not alot if it is with a U cpu and not a heavy gpu , but the problem with the hq cpu and good gpus that they burn battery like hell ... so I'm stuck in this paradox between a fast pc with bad battery or average/slow one with great battery -_-

With that budget you can get a ThinkPad P50 workstation with decent specs, like this one:
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/p50/?menu-id=thinkpad_p50

Highlights include a quad-core Skylake i7, SSD options, and a dedicated Quadro GPU. If you're a software engineering student, this ThinkPad should have you covered well into your post-graduate career.

A 4K panel and 4GBs of graphics will last 8:25 hours as tested by laptopmag.com. If you're OK with a 2K panel and a 2GB Quadro M1000M GPU, battery life should give you somewhere around 10+ hours.

Solution

Rocwen Colondo

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

Well then that's exactly what I'm searching for , since I don't game at laptops or at least not portable gaming (If I'm gaming I use desktop or laptop when connected to plug so something as desktop) and I have a decent desktop for gaming ...
I only need a laptop with the power of gaming laptops but not for gaming , I need it fast for everything else but not gaming with good battery life ... Thanks alot ? are there other examples of these except the lenovo ?

I'd say that the P50 does look like an attractive option for you. Other than the ThinkPad P-series, there's the Dell Precision but Precisions are generally more expensive than comparable ThinkPads.

The important issues are (a) Xeon CPUs and (b) durability/ruggedness. If you're serious about computational power, Xeons are the preferred choice of CPU combined with Quadro GPUs. If you need to go to the Antarctic or use a laptop in the desert/wilderness, then ThinkPads - especially T and P series - enjoy a reputation for durability and ruggedness that no other mainstream computer can match. Some of this reputation could also be down to successful PR, and a Precision could very well prove just as durable.