Question Laptop for video editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2020
Hi, i want to buy a laptop for 1080p 60fps video editing in shotcut. Do i need to go for the 6-core i7-10750H cpu, or is it doable with something closer to the 4-core i7-10510U. Considering the specs i’m interested in the new lenovo legion 5 (i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, 1660Ti). I’m not a gamer and i would prefer more of an ultrabook look, but they don’t go with those specs in my budget.

Dec 29, 2020
Video editing like 1080p and 60 fps can be easily done on a 4 core CPU, but more core(6) would give you extra benifits like lower rendering time and you won't have to suffer in case you are editing something heavy. If your budget allow you to spend on something like lenovo legion (i7 version) and but are more interested in any ultrabook then just go for macbook air m1 or macbook pro m1, because video editing also need a good display for color accuracy.
If you are not interested in investing on mac and want to stick to windows, then go with any ryzen edition like ryzen 7. ryzen processors provide more cores at cheaper rates.

Again if your editing is going to be graphic intensive despite being 1080p and 60fps,then you should have a good graphics card which you would would mainly find on a gaming laptops.

Tell me you budget and what type of editing you would be doing? simple or graphics intensive.

Reactions: adam181818
Dec 30, 2020
The lenovo legion 5 (i7-10750H, 16 GB RAM, 1660Ti) with the best 144hz screen, which has 100% sRGB is cheaper than the cheapest M1 mcbook air 8 GB RAM in my country. So maybe let's stick to the specs only and i will choose the exact laptop model later.
As for the video editing itself, it would be some simple stuff:
-20-30 minutes long 1080p 60fps vlogs
-adding some music
-cutting out and moving some parts
-colour adjusting
Everything using Shotcut. I might want to try 4k in the future.

Could you please tell me what are the minimum specs (cpu, gpu, ram) for this? By minimum i mean that my laptop will be able to do it without struggling at any time. And also how much more do i need for 4k?

Dec 29, 2020
The laptop model you have selected can do these type of work easily without any frustration and much time. Adding music and changing color is not a heavy task at all. Lookign at your laptop specs it feels like you are assigning a task to a mathematician to solve 10+10.

If your country has this thing available at low price then just grab it.
But again I'm reminding you if you want an ultrabook then look for something like Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 equivalent (like R5 4500U or R7 one, but only consider the 4th gen of ryzen) because they would be cheaper and more powerful than intel. For example at the price point you are getting a 4 core intel cpu, at that same price point you can easily get an AMD 6 core cpu.
So again I'm asking you about your budget and country, so it would be easier for me to pick any one model for you.
Still if you are interested in Intel then go and grab it, its not even that bad and the other specs of legion is just too good, but you should really find any other model of the legion with all those same specs except for processor and search for AMD Ryzen 7(8 core, 16 thread) or Ryzen 5 H series(6 core, 12 thread) is just better than the i7 10750H (6 core, 12 thread ).

Dec 29, 2020
Could you please tell me what are the minimum specs (cpu, gpu, ram) for this? By minimum i mean that my laptop will be able to do it without struggling at any time. And also how much more do i need for 4k?
These can easily done on a 4gb ram, a decent quad core processor, and any decent integrated graphics.

And for 4k a decent 6 core cpu, 8gb ram, and again a decent integrated graphics would be enough.
In you are case you are not playing with graphical elements so any any decent integrated graphics the comes today with laptop cpu would do the work.
If you are satisfied with my answer then dont forget to like.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam181818
Dec 30, 2020
Thanks for your answer, so could you give me a precise 4 core cpu, that would handle this? I know that the i5-9300h and similar are powerful, but are there any ultrabook type cpu's?

Status
Not open for further replies.