Laptop freezes unexpectedly

thedront

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Hello!

I have an Asus UX32VD which I purchased early this year which for some reason freezes randomly. The freezing does not seem to be related to heavy loads and high temperatures, and I have tried all kinds of possible solutions, including reinstalling Windows, trying different drivers, update BIOS, use different energy saving modes, chkdsk and the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. Freezes happen slowly so to speak, by which I mean that one program stops responding, and then others follow suit. Usually the mouse pointer can still be moved around after everything else has frozen, but usually it too freezes eventually. The only way to get out of this is to press and hold in the power button. Once, at least, have I managed to get the error message KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR in relation to this problem, which allegedly points at a hardware issue related to the hard drive or RAM memory.

Does anyone have any idea of what this could be? I suspect myself that it is a hardware fault related to the hard drive, RAM or possible even the motherboard. I read somewhere that others have had problems with ASUS motherboards, and I am assuming this ASUS computer has an ASUS motherboard.

Very grateful for any input or advice!

Solution
D
Sounds very much like memory errors. Run memtest. You will want to run it 8 to 10 hours to fully check 8GB. Any errors at all mean a problem.

http://www.memtest.org/

You will have to download the .iso and create a bootable disk with it and then boot off the disk to run memtest. If you need help feel free to ask.

thedront

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

Thank you Kevin.

I tried the software and it did not indicate any errors on my hard drive. Is there anything similar I can use to check the RAM memory?

D

Deleted member 217926

Sounds very much like memory errors. Run memtest. You will want to run it 8 to 10 hours to fully check 8GB. Any errors at all mean a problem.

http://www.memtest.org/

You will have to download the .iso and create a bootable disk with it and then boot off the disk to run memtest. If you need help feel free to ask.

Solution