Laptop freezes when plugged in

cpucpu123

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 (2017) running on Windows 10 64-bit since January 2018.
It had been running smoothly until about 2 months ago. Occasionally, it would freeze up. The screen freezes but the sound continues to play (if watching a video).
I tried almost about everything (Ctrl+Alt+Del, mashing random buttons, shortcut to sleep etc.) but nothing worked. I had to press and hold the power button to shut it down.
Then a month ago, I discovered by chance that when I unplug the AC adaptor, the laptop unfreezes. Any video playing during the freeze would fast forward until the correct present frame.
Sometimes it freezes a couple of times a day, sometimes a couple of times in an hour.

Does any IT-savvy saviour here has any idea what might be the problem?

bfcallan

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I would try and see if there is anything about this on Acer's forums but, I was experiencing this on my Dell XPS. I avoided it by typing and using the touchpad while plugging it into the AC adapter.

cpucpu123

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

I had an acer technician over at my place to look at it since it came with an on-site warranty but nothing could be done

Nov 1, 2018
I had the same problem on a Dell laptop with a GTX 1060 graphic card. I found this solution on the Web and it solved my problem:

"fix is done by right-clicking on the Start button, clicking "Control Panel", then "System..." then "Power Options" then when you see the "power plans", click "Change settings" for the power plan, then find the "Change advanced settings" link and a dialog will pop up with a tree: on the tree find "PCI Express", expand it so you can see the "plugged in" and "battery" options, click them both and choose "off". Apply the changes."

Dec 18, 2018
I am having the same problem and i also luckily find out that unplugging the adapter fixes it temporarily. It could be a bug frpm windows 10 updates.
I'm using Hp laptop btw.