Question Laptop freezes while playing videos when i am not charging my laptop.

Nov 27, 2019
i have an Asus 505dy-BQ024T (specs posted below) . Whenever i watch a video (on netflix or VLC) when my laptop is not connected to a charger my laptop freezes and i cannot do anything i have to hold the power button and do a hard reboot. It is a new laptop i bought it ~2 months ago. Any idea on what is causing it and what can i do to prevent? Any help would appreciated .

Laptop Specs-

Asus 505dy-BQ024T

Processor-AMD Ryzen 5-3550H

RAM - 8gb

GPU- Radeon RX 560X 4GB

Storage - 512gb SSD

OS- windows 10 Home

MDTOP

Great
Jun 6, 2019
fancyusername,
Check your power options, check to see if bios is set to slow processor, verify your temperatures. With my older ROG laptop I can't play decent games unless I am plugged in.(PIA at the airport)The video will stutter and make games unplayable.
Does the freeze happen right away or after a few minutes?

Nov 27, 2019
fancyusername,
Check your power options, check to see if bios is set to slow processor, verify your temperatures. With my older ROG laptop I can't play decent games unless I am plugged in.(PIA at the airport)The video will stutter and make games unplayable.
Does the freeze happen right away or after a few minutes?

Hey MDTOP,

Thanks for the reply :)

I have my Power set to balanced.
I am sorry but i dont know how to check whether my bios is set to slow processor.
I tried check whether the laptop froze due to the laptop being overheated but that didnt seem to be the case because before the screen froze i wasnt doing anything "heavy" on the laptop . i just usually browse youtube and then when i switch to watching a movie it freezes.

I also have the exact same thing with my laptop i cant play any big games unless the laptop is plugged otherwise the game stutters.

the freeze usually happens like after 10 mins or something along those lines it doesnt happen right away.

MDTOP

Great
Jun 6, 2019
So you tube is fine, what are you playing with VLC a HD movie?
Try performance mode for you power, see if it helps. I am going to try at home since I always plug the laptop in when watching movies with VLC will get back in a few days.

Nov 27, 2019
yes i think maybe once the freeze happen while watching youtube other times it has happened while im on netflix or VLC.
Yes i generally watch HD movies not 4k tho.
my laptop only has 2 power modes - Balanced (Recommended) and Asus recommended

MDTOP

Great
Jun 6, 2019
Which power mode are you running? Can you dig deeper into power settings (change plan settings) any settings enabled after 10 minutes, Does it happen when battery gets to a certain level? Are you logging errors?
What version of windows 10 are you running? Has windows done an update recently?

Things to look into, Is your BIOS up to date? Are your Video drivers up to date?