Laptop gets stuck at the Lenovo Logo screen unless I press a button to boot into Windows.

varun706

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Hello,
I have a Lenovo Ideapad Z500 from 2013 and I did a clean install of Windows 10 yesterday.
I installed the necessary drivers and restarted the laptop after every installation and everything went fine.

But, when I tried to turn on the laptop it got stuck at the Lenovo logo screen for more than 10 minutes. This used to happen rarely and didn't used to affect the laptop. Today however, no matter how many times I restarted or turned off and back on again it stays in the logo screen until I press a key.

When the laptop does load Windows, the login screen becomes unresponsive for a minute or two, and another anomaly I noticed was that Win+E and Win+R combos don't work perfectly as they just bring up the start menu most of the time.

I tried the Lenovo diagnostics on the hard drive, HDTune and there wasn't any faults in the hard drive.

I did a clean install of the Windows as I hadn't put much into it yesterday. Same results.

I re-flashed the BIOS (71CN51WW or 1.21) again to no improvement.
The laptop does work normally in every other aspect but requires me to press a key during the startup. If I don't press a key, it stays in the logo screen.

On a side note, between the logo screen and the Windows login screen it prompts to cancel disk checking by pressing any key within 8 seconds.

Please help me with this issue. Helpful suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
Final update..........

The problem turned out to be something related to the installation of Windows 10. When I mentioned I did a clean install of the OS the second time, it was more of a re-installation of Windows on top of an existing copy of Windows. So, the problem persisted afterwards.

Yesterday, I installed macOS Sierra on the laptop and dual boot with Windows 10 by completely erasing the hard drive. Now both the OS are working properly and the problems such as disk checking and weird shenanigans by the keyboard or touchpad are gone.

If only I could get this thread closed....

t53186

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
That disk checking prompt may be a clue. It is possible that chkdsk was scheduled to run at next boot, which is odd, but it's about the only possibility based on what you have described.

varun706

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

When I first searched for a solution on the internet, I came across a thread here on TH suggesting that the laptop might be trying to connect and download updates. I turned off the WiFi and tried turning on the laptop but had the same result. So, I pressed f8 which started the automatic repair procedure, but that was before I tried re-flashing the BIOS and clean installation of Windows. The hard drive diagnosis on various tools made me think it might be something to do with the BIOS. The laptop now boots into Windows in about 3 minutes, but I have to press a key after I turn on using the power button, stop the disk checking by pressing once more.

This itself isn't a serious situation but definitely frustrating for me because the laptop was working perfectly prior to this. Would highly appreciate if this was resolved.

varun706

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Just an update....

For some reason the laptop's keyboard is acting weird. I couldn't scroll down to post this on the laptop and had to resort to my phone to post this. The laptop scrolls to the top automatically on most websites. In explorer, it would keep selecting the first folder or file in the directory. I thought that either the touchpad or the keyboard has a fault and disabled the touchpad, still acts weird.

I tried to open multiple tabs in Chrome and held the Ctrl button, and sure enough the tabs get switched. I'm starting to think that some key, most likely the PageUp, PageDown, Home keys are being registered without me pressing them.

I checked, there's no scheduled disk check. Something's intervening the booting process. I'm thinking some key on the keyboard is being registered during booting to set off the disk check.

How do I solve this?

varun706

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Final update..........

The problem turned out to be something related to the installation of Windows 10. When I mentioned I did a clean install of the OS the second time, it was more of a re-installation of Windows on top of an existing copy of Windows. So, the problem persisted afterwards.

Yesterday, I installed macOS Sierra on the laptop and dual boot with Windows 10 by completely erasing the hard drive. Now both the OS are working properly and the problems such as disk checking and weird shenanigans by the keyboard or touchpad are gone.

If only I could get this thread closed....

Solution