Solved! Laptop goes to sleep when in game

222lu222

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
Hey guys so this issue started about a week ago. I have a Lenovo y510p laptop and use it for school and games. The only games I play right now is Fortnite. About a week ago randomly my computer turned off at the start of the game. It turns off but not a full reboot once I press the power button again it'll ask me to sign in and I can resume playing. I've tried everything from uninstalling Fortnite to updating drivers. The problem keeps happening. It seems like it only happens when I land in Fortnite and then if i can get past the first 3-5 minutes it will stop shutting off in that game, its really weird don't know if that is a coincidence or not. I have checked CPU/GPU Temperature and they are nothing out of the ordinary, around 65-75 degree Celsius. My laptop does not turn off anywhere else, have even played League of Legends to test and no problem. Is this maybe a glitch with the game?

Running Windows 8.1. Latest drivers.

Thanks in advance to anyone who attempts to help me.

222lu222

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

This surprisingly helped my issue a bit but didn't solve it. I went into power settings and took off any actions that would result in putting my PC to sleep as well as the lid and power button. So now in game my laptop screen will go black and my keyboard turn off but then the game would try and open on my second monitor. And if I spam Alt tab my monitor will turn on again and the game would be back. That way I can be back in game in about 5 seconds instead of around 15. But this happens every minute or so, so it is very cumbersome.

boju

Distinguished
Seems theres a glitch with multi monitor setup there somewhere. Have you tried just the laptop screen? What happens if you turn off the external display?

Also try toggle display switch using start + p, see if that gives any ideas.

222lu222

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

Yea I also thought this could've been the issue, so I have tried it without the second monitor and just the laptop monitor. Since my second monitor is a USB monitor I have tried it with it unplugged a few times. The issue persisted. But thank you for taking your time and replying. I really appreciate it. At this point im thinking of doing a factory reset and see what that does.