laptop graphic card explanation

crysisgamer

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014
Please tell me more about laptop GPU. How does a big graphic card fit into a small laptop. What is integrated and dedicated graphic card.

Solution
laptop gpu's come almost always soldered to the motherboard of a laptop. Therefor a laptop graqphics card usually isn't a big card nor can it be replaced.
An integrated card is one that is integrated in the cpu, like AMD's apu's and Intel's HD graphic cards. A dedicated graphic card is separate from the cpu, it is a standalone gpu. Mostly a dedicated gpu card will perform better than an integrated gpu.
Between the integrated cards on the cpu, AMD's integrated gpu outperforms intel's integrated gpu.

bootcher

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
laptop gpu's come almost always soldered to the motherboard of a laptop. Therefor a laptop graqphics card usually isn't a big card nor can it be replaced.
An integrated card is one that is integrated in the cpu, like AMD's apu's and Intel's HD graphic cards. A dedicated graphic card is separate from the cpu, it is a standalone gpu. Mostly a dedicated gpu card will perform better than an integrated gpu.
Between the integrated cards on the cpu, AMD's integrated gpu outperforms intel's integrated gpu.

Solution

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Most of your high end gaming systems have graphics cards that are upgradeable. Those tend to be the ones with Nvidia 760,770 & 780 or 860,870 and 880's. MSI and Alienware 17 & 18 allow for this. Sager and some of the other boutique also allow you to upgrade GP's. Discrete cards have their own memory and resources while the integrated share system memory. Integrated now means they are on the on the same die as then processor. I have an Alienware 18 and I have to options of a Nvidia 860, 870 and 880 and a high end ATI card. Discrete's are better for gaming as they have the resources to handle the high en rendering of the most power PC games.

You also have SLI graphics which is 2 graphics cards. My laptop has 2 860's which I can disable and use the integrated graphics to save battery life if I'm unplugged. That being said all modern laptops have an integrated as it's built into the processor . That means if they have a discrete card they also have an integrated card.

TRENDING THREADS