Laptop Graphics Card Seemingly Underperforming (NVIDIA GeForce 940MX)

DepressedTofu

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
I recently bought a brand new HP Pavilion Laptop with both integrated graphics and an NVIDIA GeForce 940MX graphics card but the FPS I get with games that I should be able to run decently with it only reaches up to 25 FPS. When I switched over to the integrated graphics to check it out, the difference between them is only 4-5 FPS. According to my own research, I should be able to run most semi-demanding games in medium-high settings. The only games I've tried to run are Skyrim, Dynasty Warriors and Sims 3 and they all lag immensely.

Here are my specs:

n6QRrXl.png

QcgZM2P.png

I've tried every solution I can find on the internet:

• Uninstall and reinstall drivers
    Run games with the NVIDIA graphics processor
    Fiddle around with settings on the NVIDIA control panel
    Uninstall and reinstall the games

I'm a total newbie when it comes to gaming on the PC so this probably is a little stupid. Are my specs too low-end for the games I'm trying to play? The weird thing is my previous laptop which was i5 and had an 840M NVIDIA graphics card seemed to run these games faster than this supposedly higher-end laptop. I just want to know what the root cause of the issue is.

Sorry for the wall of text and thank you in advance!

Solution
Check your Hard Disk utilization. Bloatware or Windows may be writing intensively in the background, causing you to lag. I'd recommend upgrading to 8GB ram as well.

Also, I'd recommend doing more research before buying a laptop. A 940MX is practically no better than a 840M. You should see a small FPS increase in games that are solely more CPU intensive. But, even then, you only have a dual core i7. You pretty much purchased/received a laptop with the same specs as before. 940M will only be able to play older games well and newer games on extremely low settings.

Mousemonkey

Distinguished
MERGED QUESTION
Question from DepressedTofu : "Laptop Graphics Card Seemingly Underperforming (NVIDIA GeForce 940MX)"

shadymnms

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
Check your Hard Disk utilization. Bloatware or Windows may be writing intensively in the background, causing you to lag. I'd recommend upgrading to 8GB ram as well.

Also, I'd recommend doing more research before buying a laptop. A 940MX is practically no better than a 840M. You should see a small FPS increase in games that are solely more CPU intensive. But, even then, you only have a dual core i7. You pretty much purchased/received a laptop with the same specs as before. 940M will only be able to play older games well and newer games on extremely low settings.

Solution

Zul 97

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

Zul 97

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
mate i think i got same problem with u and same laptop model maybe... the one that i can tell u here is play the game with ur charger connected.. ive tried it and it seems like the laptop cant be on max perfomance by using batery only.. or u can find any solutions to setting on ur laptops power management