Laptop GTX 770M GPU burnt up

Acesis

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015
Hey guys!

I currently own a M17x Alienware (4800 processor) w/ a Nvidia GTX 770M GPU.

I reduced my slightly better than average gaming system to a boat anchor a few days ago. Unsatisfied with my baby's ability to run Fallout 4 at max settings, I began pricing new laptops on Cyber Monday. Also unsatisfied with the mediocre deals offered by Alienware and Sager, I took to the logic of finally over-clocking my GPU after 2 years of owning it to squeeze some more performance on a budget.

I didn't over-clock it more than 5% and she was holding stable. Started the computer up the next day to a blank screen and 8 continuous beeps. After some research, and a phone call to Alienware tech support- the gpu is done for.

I ripped the laptop apart- removed the 770 and tried booting to hope it would default to the 'onboard graphics' with no luck.

The tech guy I talked to from Dell / Alienware said it wouldn't be a problem for them to install the best possible GPU that fits (GTX 880m) while I'm at it, but the warranty department said otherwise. They are only willing to have me send the laptop to them, then 7-10 business days and about $450 later- return to me a computer specifically with a 770m.

Now you know the backstory- this is where I could use some advice, wisdom, guidance, and help.

eBay puts my current system worth roughly $800 or so.

Upgrading my GPU looks to add a solid 8-10 FPS to ultra settings to most games.

Option 1) Send laptop to AW, $450 fixes the problem
Option 2) Buy GTX 880M from eBay $500 plug it in and cross fingers
Option 3) Buy GTX 770M from eBay $400
Option 4) Buy new sexy laptop $1650

Solution
The 770m and the 880 are decent video cards for laptops still so saving over a grand by fixing your system may be worth it.

The 880m looks to need almost double the power of the 770m, I don't know if I would try that upgrade myself. You can't sell the system for 800 with a bad card. Luckily you don't need to spend 1600 for a decent gaming system. A 970m will be faster than the 880m that may or may not work well in your laptop. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA57X3GT0616&cm_re=970m-_-34-233-103-_-Product

If you have the money to spend, I'd list the system as in on ebay as a reparable thing, and then put in a bit extra money and get the new system.
The 770m and the 880 are decent video cards for laptops still so saving over a grand by fixing your system may be worth it.

The 880m looks to need almost double the power of the 770m, I don't know if I would try that upgrade myself. You can't sell the system for 800 with a bad card. Luckily you don't need to spend 1600 for a decent gaming system. A 970m will be faster than the 880m that may or may not work well in your laptop. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA57X3GT0616&cm_re=970m-_-34-233-103-_-Product

If you have the money to spend, I'd list the system as in on ebay as a reparable thing, and then put in a bit extra money and get the new system.

Solution