Laptop has backlight but no display

adsl3

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Hello,

Let me start from here that my laptop used to work fine but as I had difficulty with opening and closing the lid, it started acting weird and almost ruined my life routine.

First let me say that on top of my laptop keyboard there is a key that turns the display on and off.

So basically everything was good and working but suddenly my LCD started to act weird. One day that I turned it on to do something I heard a noise playing for 2 seconds and then my LCD turned off. I pressed that button on my keyboard but again noises and LCD off again... My English is terrible so let me write this like this:

-> Pressing Button -> 2 second noise + 2 second of display -> Black Screen (OFF) -> Pressing button -> 2 second noise + 2 second of display -> .... and on and on

Then I had to use an external monitor to work with my laptop. BUT I could see that there is a backlight on my display.

I decided to open my LCD screws to see whats going on there (Although I didn't know anything about hardware and circuits) But after a while I found a few topics here that you guys were suggesting to change the inverter.

This is the worst part because I forgot to turn my laptop off before disconnecting the inverter. So yeah I think you can guess what happened... I just got an electrocution. (I think I accidentally touched the inverter board) I freaked out for a second and then reconnected the inverter to see if everything was same as before and guess what, No more noises and of course no more display at all (Not even with keyboard button) So just a backlight and thats it (let me call this backlight of death lol BLOD)

I purchased a new inverter with the same model as well but no luck, same situation... Do you guys have any idea whats going on? Is there any chance I can get this fixed and working again without having to replace the entire screen? Because you know... It's a bit overpriced in my area and not really worth it.
Is there any tests that I can do to see what has caused the issue?

Additional information: The noise wasn't beep, it was something like the welding sounds. I don't know how to explain but thats it.

Any helps will be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance

adsl3

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Hello, Thank you very much for replying back! really appreciate it.

My laptops is Sony Vaio VGN-CR25S (pretty old but still good), It's black when I have no display. But you know the desktop and icons are still visible (very hard to see tho)

I took out the inverter and I still have backlight. Is it normal?