Laptop having problems mainly relating to power (Battery, Shutdown, CPU power, Loading SSD)

AndrewBlake

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
So I have a L875D-S7332 Toshiba Satellite laptop which has been upgraded to a A10-4600M Quad core, 8 GB Corsair ram, and a Crucial MX100 512 GB SSD, and it has several problems.

1. When I tell my laptop to shut down it restarts instead of shutting down. I have manually hit the shutdown button, but it still does this.

2. Every once and a while after booting it back up, it will check for media (SSD) and say failed. Then it tells no boot device is found. If I hold f2 and go into the BIOS, then hit f10 to close/save without changing anything, it works again. It seems very inconsistent.

3. If my Battery % gets to low, say 10-20%, my computer may just shutdown randomly without warning.

4. If my minimum processor state is below 100%, my computer constantly crashes. To fix this I have just set the min to 100%, but I don't understand why it does this as my computer is upgrade to the A10-4600M as told by a lot of sites (including this one). (Only happens when unplugged).

5. I bought another battery that actually has a slightly higher max voltage, and was said to be compatible with my laptop. My laptop doesn't charge it and doesn't recognize it as a battery unless I restart, which upon unplugging my laptop (It says the battery is 100% charged) it instantly loses power and shuts down. I followed the instructions of letting it "charge" for 4+ hours before use, but to no avail.

6. There may be other problems that I have forgotten about, but will bring up if I remember them.

Solution
Well, the one thing that would probably have the most impact when it comes to making everything go haywire would be (I would imagine) the CPU you put in. Just because it will physically fit in the socket:

1) TDP. Things could be overheating.
2) BIOS support - this is critical - if the CPU is not -explicitly- supported by the BIOS, you could have all kinds of twitchiness because of different graphics, different TDP, multiple cores, etc.

I tend to doubt it's the SSD (those are usually pretty standardized and well supported because a drive is a drive is a drive). The memory -could- be a problem if you have the wrong type or your computer doesn't explicitly support that much RAM (this is not tied to the CPU with AMD, it's tied to the...

Rookie_MIB

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Well, the one thing that would probably have the most impact when it comes to making everything go haywire would be (I would imagine) the CPU you put in. Just because it will physically fit in the socket:

1) TDP. Things could be overheating.
2) BIOS support - this is critical - if the CPU is not -explicitly- supported by the BIOS, you could have all kinds of twitchiness because of different graphics, different TDP, multiple cores, etc.

I tend to doubt it's the SSD (those are usually pretty standardized and well supported because a drive is a drive is a drive). The memory -could- be a problem if you have the wrong type or your computer doesn't explicitly support that much RAM (this is not tied to the CPU with AMD, it's tied to the motherboard/chipset). If it recognizes all of it though, it shouldn't be a problem.

So - that really leaves the CPU or a problem with the motherboard.

Solution

AndrewBlake

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

Well like I said, everything I checked said it would be compatible, so I am pretty sure they also meant in terms of my computer being able to support it. I have checked my temperature and it was within operating temperature, and even low at times. Also, that wouldn't explain why when the min is 100% it can run fine. If anything that would have to do with the BIOS not knowing how much power to give. When I checked my BIOS, it looks to understand that it is a quad core.

In terms of it not being the SSD, I doubt it is the hardware of the SSD itself, but rather something with compatibility between the BIOS and it, or just the BIOS/motherboard specifically is flawed and is causing errors as once again, I checked that they were compatible. This only happens when I have my SSD, not my Hard Drive.

In terms of ram, my computer is said to support up to 16 GB (2x8 GB) and no issues appeared after installing that new ram. I am also pretty sure that computers are for the most part, completely cross compatible with any types of ram, and if you exceed the ram limit it just doesn't use that much ram. (Limited between Laptop/Desktop though in terms of cross compatibility, Laptop Ram is smaller then Desktop ram physically.)