Laptop HD on a desktop?

Wedge_O_Witz

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Hello, I have a laptop that has gone the way of the dodo, I believe it is either the battery or the power cord which has failed. I am not interested in restoring the laptop due to its age. The laptop HD is SATA, and I was wondering if I could plug that into my desktop SATA in order to retrieve the information contained therein.

Solution
Yes you can - the connections are identical. When you remove it from the laptop, hang on to a couple of the screws. You can usually find somewhere in a PC to screw it to but "proper" caddies are available since Solid Sate Drives became popular.

Just be careful not to fit it anywhere the soldered joints on the underside of the drive can come into contact with metal.
Yes you can - the connections are identical. When you remove it from the laptop, hang on to a couple of the screws. You can usually find somewhere in a PC to screw it to but "proper" caddies are available since Solid Sate Drives became popular.

Just be careful not to fit it anywhere the soldered joints on the underside of the drive can come into contact with metal.

Solution