Laptop & HDMI & External Monitor Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mertalp

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016
Hello guys. I have a Toshiba Satellite L50-A 1CX Laptop. And a Philips 220XW8FB/00 monitor. What I want to do is simple. Just connect my Laptop to the monitor via HDMI cable.

And I used to do this without hassle. Like 3 or 4 months ago I connected my Laptop into my monitor without a single problem. But now I've been literally trying every thing for the last 3 days to make it work with no success.

When I connect my Laptop to the monitor via HDMI nothing happens. It says "no video input" on the monitor screen (and yes I select the HDMI option on the monitor.) Also I tried the "windows + P" shortcut to choose what to do with the external monitor and tried all the options clone the screen etc.

So I think something is wrong with the cable or my Laptop's HDMI input. Then I use the same HDMI cable I used and connect my Laptop to my TV. And suddenly it works. Now I think something is wrong with my Monitor.

So I have a internet TV decoder device. (like a netflix thingy) and I connect that to my monitor with the hdmi cable and boom! It works. I can watch TV on my monitor without any problems. The video the audio everything is perfect. So I start to believe that it is somehow software related.

I've been using Windows 10 at the beginning. Since then I uninstalled my laptops both intel&nvidia video drivers and re-install the most updated versions with no success. Format my PC and clean install Windows 10. Clean install windows 7. And lastly clean install Linux Mint. I am writing this one on Linux Mint. And still no success.

My laptop has both VGA and HDMI inputs so I find a VGA cable and connect my laptop to my monitor with it. And it works without issues (I only tried this on Linux Mint) I can connect my monitor using VGA. But as you know you can't get audio with VGA. And also you get better image quality and refresh rates with HDMI. So I want to use HDMI.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance guys..

Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help. If you've pretty much done all the possible troubleshooting steps that I will suggest I would say that the problem would be the graphics card of your laptop since it controls both the HDMI and VGA port of it.
- Do a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Once done, check Programs and Features as well then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Next is to download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot your laptop once the driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do set Nvidia as the default GPU.
- Here's how: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/~/how-do-i-customize-optimus-profiles-and-settings%3F
- Plug in the monitor via HDMI again, press the Windows key + P and select between Extended or Duplicate.
- Again if all these will not work my suggestion is to take if for a repair if it's still under the factory warranty.

mertalp

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016

"Again if all these will not work my suggestion is to take if for a repair if it's still under the factory warranty"

repair what? Can connect laptop to TV using HDMI. Can connect Monitor to internet TV using HDMI. Clearly both works.

Status
Not open for further replies.