Laptop/Home Theater/HDTV Interface

Possum-Pie

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Hi everyone, I have a Toshiba HDTV with every kind of input/output jack you can imagine. I also have a Sony DAV-HDX275 BRAVIA Home theater. I specifically bought it b/c it has an optical digital audio input jack, and a coax. digital input jack. (I want to get surround sound from not only the dvds in the player, but the TV, and my laptop). I bought a HP Pavilion with Blu-ray player, and HDMI port. Here is the problem. There is no HDMI port on the home theater, so I plug HDMI from laptop to tv. No problem Pic and sound through TV. But I want sound through the Home theater. I connected a digital optical audio cable from the tv to the home theater, and can hear the audio from the over the air tv station, but no audio if I am running a movie from the laptop.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Read your manual for instruction.

You need to setup the audio output from your TV and make sure you sellect fix instead of variable.

Problem is that your TV might not output suround signal.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Yeah I had that problem before I got a New Amp that had HDMI. I never did this but you can buy an external USB sound card for you laptop that will have a Optical out so you can plug in directly in to your amp then the HDMI in to you TV
Unless you laptop all ready have a Digital sound out all ready that is you only option.

Here is a external sound card
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=17751