laptop is hot

connelly2k

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
right first of all (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Series-NP305E5A-A03US-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B006KYY00Q) this is my laptop my problem is when i play on games for an hour or so it gets very hot but i never thought anything of it before until recently and i downloaded core temp to check the temperature and when i checked it was saying it was at 54c just idling and 74c of jsut 10 minutes of gameplay (havnt tried playing a game for an hour yet) but i read somewhere that that temp is very hot for a laptop and shouldn't go no higher than 70c but this was at 74c just 10 minutes of playing and when i play for hours it is definitely hotter than what it was, im just wanting to know how hot can a laptop go and how i can clean it.
Thanks. Chris

Solution
Three years eh, could be that the thermal paste has lost its ability to keep things cool and/or the amount of dust that has accumulated over the years has raised temperatures.

You can open the bottom cover to see how much dust is inside if you want, if there is some dust you can use air duster cans to blow the dust out and see if that makes a difference, it should help but if the problem is the thermal paste and you dont feel comfortable replacing the paste yourself then you can take it to a computer shop for them to do it

aloof11

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Those temps seem normal to me, try playing for a bit more than 10 mins (hour maybe?) and see if the temps get too high then. Also try not to cover the vents on bottom of laptop, even a little bit can raise temps

If the laptop stays 90C+ or close to it consistently while playing then you might want to find a way to lower temps (by removing dust, getting laptop cooler etc) but 70C isnt bad at all, the problem is high temps consistently (high as in 90C+, though I like to keep my below 85C or 80C most of the time)

connelly2k

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
hey thanks for your reply, sorry it took me so long to reply but i did not know you had replied untill now, ryt well playing counterstrike go on my laptop for an hour now makes my laptop go to 93-95.c but 95 is the highest i just dont know what to do to fix it, i keep it on a desktop when playing, dont cover the fans etc and by the looks of it their isnt really any dust over the vent and cant really see what its like inside, im thinking if its worth taking to a shop for them to have a look inside and see if it needs cleaning, i use this laptop for work so really dont want it to break and iv had it for 3 years now, thanks for your reply. Chris.

aloof11

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Three years eh, could be that the thermal paste has lost its ability to keep things cool and/or the amount of dust that has accumulated over the years has raised temperatures.

You can open the bottom cover to see how much dust is inside if you want, if there is some dust you can use air duster cans to blow the dust out and see if that makes a difference, it should help but if the problem is the thermal paste and you dont feel comfortable replacing the paste yourself then you can take it to a computer shop for them to do it

Solution