Solved! Laptop is not booting up....any help?

jms493

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
So my Dell laptop the other day got the blue screen of death (dumping physical memory). Now it hangs trying to repair. I let it try and repair for over 12 hours and nothing. I am able to access the BIOS so I changed the boot order and put a windows install CD in there. I was going to do a fresh install....I have nothing saved on this laptop so I don't care. It is basically an internet laptop. I hit start install and it hangs on the "Setup Starting" forever.

Now I am not sure what to do. I imagine the hard drive might f%@ked. I did drop it on the couch while it was on and this happened not long after. I am not that concerned as it was a $375 refurbished laptop, but I would rather not have to go spend another 300-400 another a new one if this is fixable.

Any ideas?

Solution
Well if you have access to another computer, you could pull the HD out of the laptop and put it into the other computer (desktop preferably). Just hook it up and power on the computer. You than should be able to format it (hopefully). If you can format it than you should be able to put the HD back into the laptop and do a fresh install. There are other options, but I've done this a few times and I either get a fresh install or I ended up ordering a new HD to replace the bad one.

lunyone

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Well if you have access to another computer, you could pull the HD out of the laptop and put it into the other computer (desktop preferably). Just hook it up and power on the computer. You than should be able to format it (hopefully). If you can format it than you should be able to put the HD back into the laptop and do a fresh install. There are other options, but I've done this a few times and I either get a fresh install or I ended up ordering a new HD to replace the bad one.

Solution

jms493

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

Good idea....thank you.

jms493

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

I just took it out of the laptop.....will put it in the desktop tonite.

lunyone

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Yeah I thought that might be the case, since you had dropped the laptop, but one's gotta check it out first to be sure. I hope the HD is the only issue with the laptop. There could be others that crop up, but sounds like the HD was the only issue at this point :)

jms493

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

yes i did, by connecting it to my desktop and it would not read it.