Solved! Laptop is slow when running programs, after reseating memory modules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2020
Couple of days ago my laptop would turn on, but the screen would remain black.

After researching I fixed the issue by opening my laptop and removing and reseating the memory modules.

However now my laptop is slow when using the browser or playing games, and it feels like it keeps getting slower until i restart my laptop.
When I open task manager "Antimalware Service Executable" and "service host:local system" are using a lot of memory and disk sometimes

Solution
You should put it under a sustained heavy load (I recommend Prime95) while monitoring the clock frequency, temperatures and CPU fan speed (HWiNFO will show you everything you need).

You want to see a constant 4.4GHz frequency and max temperatures of 80deg. If the temperature stays under that and you aren't maintaining 4.4GHz then we can investigate your BIOS settings. If the temperature hits 80deg then you should expect the CPU to limit itself in order to stay "cool" - if this is the case you should make note of your CPU fan speeds. You may need to change your fan curve to be more aggressive and keep the temperature lower, or the cooler may need re-mounting/replacing if it's not working effectively. It may just be that the...
Apr 17, 2020
You should put it under a sustained heavy load (I recommend Prime95) while monitoring the clock frequency, temperatures and CPU fan speed (HWiNFO will show you everything you need).

You want to see a constant 4.4GHz frequency and max temperatures of 80deg. If the temperature stays under that and you aren't maintaining 4.4GHz then we can investigate your BIOS settings. If the temperature hits 80deg then you should expect the CPU to limit itself in order to stay "cool" - if this is the case you should make note of your CPU fan speeds. You may need to change your fan curve to be more aggressive and keep the temperature lower, or the cooler may need re-mounting/replacing if it's not working effectively. It may just be that the heatsick is so full of dust there's not enough airflow through it, but either way some screenshots/numbers for these metrics whilst running P95 should point us in the right direction.

The 4.4GHz figure is the spec for that part out-of-the-box. Since it's unlocked though, it may be just that you're hitting the stock speeds and performing lower than "expected" because most 7700K's have been overclocked beyond those specs!

Reactions: reterert
Solution
Apr 16, 2020

You want to see a constant 4.4GHz frequency and max temperatures of 80deg. If the temperature stays under that and you aren't maintaining 4.4GHz then we can investigate your BIOS settings. If the temperature hits 80deg then you should expect the CPU to limit itself in order to stay "cool" - if this is the case you should make note of your CPU fan speeds. You may need to change your fan curve to be more aggressive and keep the temperature lower, or the cooler may need re-mounting/replacing if it's not working effectively. It may just be that the heatsick is so full of dust there's not enough airflow through it, but either way some screenshots/numbers for these metrics whilst running P95 should point us in the right direction.

The 4.4GHz figure is the spec for that part out-of-the-box. Since it's unlocked though, it may be just that you're hitting the stock speeds and performing lower than "expected" because most 7700K's have been overclocked beyond those specs!

Thank you for the reply,
I will try this after my online exams on the 21st April
I would like to mention also, that a couple of months ago my internet kept getting disconnected aswell, and after some research I was able to fix this issue by reseating the WLAN card, while I had my laptop open I cleaned out the dust and checked the fan it seemed good. (my older laptop had a lot of heating/fan issues).
So im thinking it might be a BIOS issue.
edit: my specs are View: https://imgur.com/a/XnR6hlP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.