Laptop just failed, how to backup Outlook, calendar, mail, folders ect

italiaboi24

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
so my inspiron 1520 hd failed again due to a badly made factory image AGAIN and i just lost os functionality. I had been backing up all my stuff, so thats not the problem... the problem is that now i have no clue how to get my thousands of outlook messages, organized folders, notes, tasks, and precious calendar out of the HD.

Is there a folder that i can just copy and paste and that's it as far as transferring my stuff to the new hd/oulook when it gets here? or is there some process?

remember, i can't boot so exporting is not an option at this time...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

lovely,

italiaboi

italiaboi24

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
copy what files to where, lol

i'm on vista

i wqas just researching a bit and supposedly all the out mesages / calendar are in the .pst file?

can anyone else help? cause i need my notes, folders(the ones i organized for special emails), ect...

italiaboi24

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
ohi see what you mean, but what if there is corrupt information on the sector this folder is on?

thats why i wanted to know where the actual folder/files are

frozenlead

Distinguished
If the information itself is corrupt, you're screwed anyway. It shouldn't be, though. I can't tell you where the actual folders are, I don't know what programs you use for each type of information, or how you organize your file structure.

It's likely though that all of your emails are safely stored away on your provider's server. Might want to check there.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
This link tells you where Outlook stores the .pst files on default settings:

http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/filepath.htm

Next time keep a copy of your backups offline. I schedule a backup/sync on a thumb drive. The options are in the outlook menu.

Frozenlead is right about info on a server but if you're using multiple accounts, only the account related to that server will be saved on it.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
if you can mount the drive in or to another computer, you can use the Migration Wizard. Not only tranfers you email and contacts, but also rules and filters and all sorts of stuff. . . .

italiaboi24

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
so all my custom folders,calendar, messages, notes, tasks and rules are in the pst file?

thats what care about... the folders that have my old financial/special ones organized... the ones i created are in that file too.

as i understand i need to copy both pst files correct? i'm on vista ans outlook 2003

you guys are awesome

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
No. The pst file does not contais "everything", but it contains most things. Its quicker than using the migration tools (The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in XP), but my clients have always been much hapier when I used the migration tools.

The caveat being you have to be able to run it on the compter being migrated from. . . . most likely. I never tried it from a swing upgrade configuration.

italiaboi24

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
so when i do get the replacement hd, i will install it, hook up the usb drive with the old hd in it, and how do i proceed from the migration wizard? i'm on vista...

should i search on google, or do one of you guys know?

italiaboi24

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
thnx dwellman,

so i guess my only other chance is the pst file...

can someone please shime in (only if you now for sure) what is included in the .pst file? mine is about 280mb, so i'm thinking it has a lot of info on it

italiaboi24

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
alrighty guys, after 7 hours of setup, my comp is back to normal....

now, for those that need help with their outlooks whatnot,

make sure you have hidden files and folders on "show"

c -> users -> *username* -> AppData -> Local -> Microsoft -> Outlook

Now, under outlook, depending on what your system settings are, the filesmight be called .pst OR "outlook data file". what you want to copy are the archive file and the bigger outlook file. Mine was about 278mb...

so if you copy BOTH pst files, everything!!! will transfer except for the email account settings... i had to manually put those in... bummer. but all my notes, contacts, calendars, ect were there.

cheers!

thnx for all your help