Laptop keeps crashing during start up please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

8thmoon

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
My Hp Pavilion dv9500(got it around 5 years ago) has started to fail on me it was working perfectly fine then last week it just wouldn't work past the sign in screen. After i input my password it takes a few seconds then gives me one of two screens this is the one it normally gives
345bntw.jpg

sometimes I get this one
e621s9.jpg

Does anyone know anything about this I've done a system restore and used windows built in repair *** and nothing works.
Sometimes it works for 30minutes then it just shuts down again. I can get it to work in safe mode it works for days in safe mode but when I try safe mode with net working it craps out again.
Please if you know anything please tell me

Solution

i had the same problem i spent like 1 year behind the same laptop. its not worth.

just try to sell it as defective u will get 10% of the actual price. and be happy if u get that.

its actually nvidia graphic card failure and it cannot be fixed as it is on board. even if u fix it by re-balling , it would not work for more than 3 to 6 months. and re- balling costs 15% or the laptop price.

even if u buy a new board it it might get spoiled in the same way very soon may be max 1 year (the board would be costing 25% of the...

AntiZig

Distinguished
it sounds like you are having a hardware failure.

given that you scanned the computer for viruses, but even then after reinstall you shouldn't have any issues unless it got reinfected.

I'm thinking video card, but then if you are running in safemode fine, then maybe it's something else. Very strange that normal boot vs safe mode boot is giving you the monitor problems...

8thmoon

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Thanks for the reply I was thinking it was video card but since it works in safemode it confuses me. I'm pretty sure its just hardware failing because it is an old laptop.

Just wanted a few more opinions on it.

AntiZig

Distinguished
yeah sorry mate, I had hoped somebody else with more experience would have a word to say, but I guess they are clue less too.

well if nothing else a desperation step would be, back up all you data, then wipe the HDD clean and reinstall a new, see if that does anything.
if that doesn't help and if you're not afraid to, I'd take the thing apart and check connections for everything plus video card and motherboard for signs of thermal damage.

untamed_2003

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

i had the same problem i spent like 1 year behind the same laptop. its not worth.

just try to sell it as defective u will get 10% of the actual price. and be happy if u get that.

its actually nvidia graphic card failure and it cannot be fixed as it is on board. even if u fix it by re-balling , it would not work for more than 3 to 6 months. and re- balling costs 15% or the laptop price.

even if u buy a new board it it might get spoiled in the same way very soon may be max 1 year (the board would be costing 25% of the laptop price)

please dont waste ur time behind this.

sell it as spares and start collecting for a new laptop.

this problem can be found in the laptops having a nvidia graphic card which where sold during the years 2005-2009
not only in HP but also sony, acer and many others having nvidia on it.

this happens due to over heating.
never put ur laptop switched on, on a cloth or ur bed.

Solution

8thmoon

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Thank you I had found this out awhile ago and still use the laptop for work as I use the on board video card not the Nvidia one. But anyway I really appreciate that you answered my question even though its been months since I checked the site and posted this. I got this computer when I was 13 and treated it like *** but I have learned more and more about computers now and only leave my computer on hard wood/glass surfaces when its turns on.
Once again thanks for the reply

Status
Not open for further replies.