Solved! Laptop keeps restarting after ram upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2021
I upgraded my laptop's ram to 2x4GB RAM, but the moment i turned it on it keeps restarting after a certain amount of time. i tried reinserting the new ram in different slot but it doesnt seems fix the problem, i've tried to turned the laptop on with only the new ram working but the laptop still keep restarting. so, i came to conclusion that the problem is the ram.

Here is the new ram
Team Group 4GB PC3L-12800 DDR3L 1600Mhz

My laptop
Lenovo G40-45
AMD APU A8-6410
Radeon R5 Graphics (Integrated)

PS. i upgraded my bios version 2 days before upgrading my ram. is this somehow related to the problem or maybe this related to my Windows 10 version? if so, do i need to downgrade or maybe install a newer one?

Solution
I upgraded my laptop's ram to 2x4GB RAM, but the moment i turned it on it keeps restarting after a certain amount of time. i tried reinserting the new ram in different slot but it doesnt seems fix the problem, i've tried to turned the laptop on with only the new ram working but the laptop still keep restarting. so, i came to conclusion that the problem is the ram.

Here is the new ram

My laptop
Lenovo G40-45
AMD APU A8-6410

PS. i upgraded my bios version 2 days before upgrading my ram. is this somehow related to the problem or maybe this related to my Windows 10 version? if so, do i need to downgrade or maybe install a newer one?

A Defective\Faulty ram...
There are many varieties of RAM. Was the RAM you selected matched to your machine or did you just buy something? I've had good luck buying RAM from crucial.com and using their tool to get the proper part.

You should upgrade your BIOS as updates come out. It is quite rare to need to downgrade the BIOS. I suspect you have the wrong RAM. BTW--please make sure you are using good ESD precautions. It is easy to damage the laptop internals if you don't. If you handled the RAM, you may have already damaged it unless you were grounded.

Jun 20, 2021
There are many varieties of RAM. Was the RAM you selected matched to your machine or did you just buy something? I've had good luck buying RAM from crucial.com and using their tool to get the proper part.

You should upgrade your BIOS as updates come out. It is quite rare to need to downgrade the BIOS. I suspect you have the wrong RAM. BTW--please make sure you are using good ESD precautions. It is easy to damage the laptop internals if you don't. If you handled the RAM, you may have already damaged it unless you were grounded.
i bought the same RAM for my friend's laptop months ago which has the same specification as my laptop, and it works just fine. so i thought the problem is in my laptop, since i ran Memtest86 and didnt detect any faults.

Jun 20, 2021
just noticed the difference on my laptop's ram and the newer one. my laptop ram is single channel, meanwhile what i bought is dual channel. is this somehow related to the problem i have?

Oct 14, 2021

Here is the new ram

My laptop
Lenovo G40-45
AMD APU A8-6410

A Defective\Faulty ram module will cause your PC to blue screen.

You can download tools that boot from a USB to test your RAM. eg Hirens or DLC boot

I would suggest sending the module back as faulty & get a new one

Thanks
Steven Franzsen

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.