Laptop keeps shutting off after a few minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trichocysts

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
I have an alienware 18 laptop and I just replaced the battery and powercord. There was no problem before Now after a few minutes on it shuts down no warning one second it's on the next it's off. Whats wrong and how do I fix this?

Solution
Well some options don't actually work in "Safe Mode", so the speakers on yours may be one. However that shouldn't cause the dying.

I would still try running scans for viruses, malware, etc., outside "Safe Mode" to be sure. Also, check the device to see if there are any restore points you can go back to, that may be prior to the problem starting. Or if you know of any updates or program installations that came just before this happened, I would look at them as well. Perhaps uninstall and see if it is resolved.

Trichocysts

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
Ok the parts I bought are the same brand and model and I just used speedfan to check the Temps it is showing that the cores are at around 50c and I know it's not that hot so how do I fix it

Nope, not overheating then. Try launching in "Safe Mode" and see if it shuts down on you when in there. It will limit the things you can do, but it will help narrow down the issue. As if it doesn't happen while in "Safe Mode" then something is running on the computer (program, malware, virus, etc.,) that is the cause.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Trichocysts

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
Ok I started the computer in safe mode worked fine started Norton to run scan about 2 hours later I noticed that the speakers were muted went to turn it on. It opened a troubleshoot then computer just dies also I noticed I had to unplug and replug in the cord in for my laptop to start

Well some options don't actually work in "Safe Mode", so the speakers on yours may be one. However that shouldn't cause the dying.

I would still try running scans for viruses, malware, etc., outside "Safe Mode" to be sure. Also, check the device to see if there are any restore points you can go back to, that may be prior to the problem starting. Or if you know of any updates or program installations that came just before this happened, I would look at them as well. Perhaps uninstall and see if it is resolved.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.