Laptop keyboard and mouse not detected

grolf89

Estimable
Dec 8, 2015
I'm running Windows 7 pro on a Lenovo E545

When I turn on my laptop I can see the Thinkpad splash screen (the one that says "To interupt normal startup, press the Enter key" on the bottom) and then an error message saying "keyboard not detected" appears. Windows boots up and neither my keyboard or my mouse works. I can use an external keyboard and an external mouse on my laptop without a problem. If I press Enter with the external keyboard, I can enter the other startup options, while the "keyboard not detected" still appears.

I've tried: -Uninstalling and reinstalling the device drivers ("Thinkpad UltraNav Pointing Device" shows excalamtion mark even after I reinstall driver, shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

-Booting in safe mode (still get the "keyboard not detected" error message)

Is there any way of fixing this? I fear that if I reinstall my operating system I wont be able to use any keyboard at all...

thanks in advance

Solution
Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue just skip those that didn't work.
- Check keyboard language settings.
- Open Control Panel and look for Region and Language.
- Check all tabs if they are all set to United States.
- If that doesn't work, try pressing those following keys which are not working using your onscreen keyboard (Ease of Access look for Onscreen keyboard)
- Connect an external keyboard and see if the same problem will persist because if does you may need to consider on doing a complete Factory Reset cause it's a problem with your operating system.
- If all these will not work I would suggest replacing the keyboard itself.
Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue just skip those that didn't work.
- Check keyboard language settings.
- Open Control Panel and look for Region and Language.
- Check all tabs if they are all set to United States.
- If that doesn't work, try pressing those following keys which are not working using your onscreen keyboard (Ease of Access look for Onscreen keyboard)
- Connect an external keyboard and see if the same problem will persist because if does you may need to consider on doing a complete Factory Reset cause it's a problem with your operating system.
- If all these will not work I would suggest replacing the keyboard itself.

Solution

TakeTheTicket

Estimable
Dec 18, 2015
Please try the following before taking any drastic measures.

Shut Down the laptop
Unplug the power plug from the laptop
remove the battery from the laptop
press the power button a few times, then hold it for a few seconds (this drains any power that the motherboard may be holding)
Reinstall the battery
Turn on your laptop and see if the keyboard and mouse work now

Whenever I have strange problems like this, I always try cutting power to the entire system before doing anything major since its such an easy thing to do. I had this exact problem on my Lenovo laptop and these steps fixed it. I've also used these steps to fix a professional custom-built workstation that would not boot, and even a portable x-ray machine that would not communicate with it's wireless image receptor.