Laptop monitor not illuminating... any ideas?

numbnuts

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but here goes....

I have an IBM A31 laptop, with a 15 screen. Few weeks ago, worked fine, next morning the screen is black. No light.

Actually if you look at the panel, you can see the screen and all the colours, just no backlight to illuminate it. ( I think...)

Looked up on the Internet, people said the inverter is shot. Bought one off ebay and installed. No change.

Others said the flouresent bulb is burned out. Bought a new one, soldered it in place, no change. Tried swapping the old inverter, no change.

I can use an external monitor fine. Laptop works great. Just no screen. Kinda defeats the concept of a laptop!

Dunno what else to look at. Any ideas? Hate to chuck the laptop. It works well. Hesitant to buy a new panel, thinking is that this one is producing a video signal, just no lights.....

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone have this on their IBM laptops?

Thanks!

guoheng

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Hi,
How is it going? Have you find some tools or some experts to deal with this problem? Or you have already change another mother board?
I just want to know it. Hope you can replay to me.
Best,
cus

guoheng

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Hi,
How is it going? Have you find some tools or some experts to deal with this problem? Or you have already change another mother board?
Best,
cus

guoheng

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Hi,
Best,
cus