Laptop Need Help - Black Screen

timmv

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
My ThinkPad Lenovo X100e laptop has a black screen every time I boot it on. When I listen closely, it makes a faint fan sound every second, as if the fan is powering on and off. What caused this was when I was playing an online game, the laptop froze and I powered it off via the power button on the keyboard. I let the laptop cool off for about 20 minutes and came back to encounter this problem.

I already tried taking out the battery and adapter, pressing the power button and holding for 20 seconds. No luck. I also already searched Google and only found 1 thread like this with no help.

Sam0oneau

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
Does the screen display anything? Are you running a power intensive gpu? Try removing the battery and just running off of the power cable and lastly most likely theory currently is that if it was gaming the gpu got too hot and destroyed itself.

timmv

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Screen didn't display anything. Don't have a power intensive GPU. Ran without the battery via power cord, no luck. It might be the dust in the laptop, after all it's nearly 5 yrs/o and hasn't been cleaned out too often. I'll try opening it and cleaning it out, see how it goes.