Laptop needs repair: should I attempt it myself?

OldOsprey

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
A few months back I went on vacation with my laptop, clothes, and body wash all in one suitcase. Unfortunately, the TSA decided to open the ziplock bag I put my body wash in and left said bag open. My suitcase ended up filled with goo, some of which seeped into my laptop, which wouldn't even turn on at the time. When I got home I ordered new memory sticks (since that's where most of the body wash entered the laptop at) and it started up fine. That was back in November. I don't really use the laptop too much since I have a full tower at my desk which is also hooked up to my tv, an iPad, and a smart phone.

Over the next few months when I did use it, it had problems with reading the RAM, but if I just switched the sticks it'd read both. Last night, however, eight months after it got covered in body wash, I tried to turn it on only for the power button to light up for three seconds, then hear a click from the hard drive and all the lights to turn off. I'm assuming the main issue is with the hard drive now, but I think replacing it at this point is futile if I don't clean out the laptop. Should I try to clean it myself? I know my way around a desktop, but the only thing I've ever done with a laptop is upgrade/switch out the memory sticks. The only other option is to pay someone to repair it, which I can't really afford right now... for Acer to repair it I'd have to pay at least $250 since it's no longer under warranty. I could get estimates from some local computer shops to see how much it'd cost, but anything over $100 is stretching it, considering I also have to buy a new hard drive. Repairing it myself seems a bit daunting, so I'd prefer not to try it unless I have to. Any advice on how I should proceed is greatly appreciated.

Solution
Okay your problem is you waited WAY too long to address the issue, so it is time to buy a new laptop (Walmart $300).

When first observed the problem (leak) you should remove the battery and NEVER start the computer . Gotten the service manual on a second system, removed the components, cleaned with q-tips and alcohol, then let sit out for 48 hours.

Instead at this point you caused a short across the liquid connecting between metal points when you turned it on. I could and probably did spread across multiple compoenents, then you cooked the materials to the MoBo and compoenents shorting across the board (it isn't just hard drive at this point).
Okay your problem is you waited WAY too long to address the issue, so it is time to buy a new laptop (Walmart $300).

When first observed the problem (leak) you should remove the battery and NEVER start the computer . Gotten the service manual on a second system, removed the components, cleaned with q-tips and alcohol, then let sit out for 48 hours.

Instead at this point you caused a short across the liquid connecting between metal points when you turned it on. I could and probably did spread across multiple compoenents, then you cooked the materials to the MoBo and compoenents shorting across the board (it isn't just hard drive at this point).

Solution