Laptop no longer recognizes GPU

Sarramy

Estimable
Sep 15, 2015
*I wasn't sure if this should be posted here or in the Nvidia forum, I apologize if I chose poorly*

I recently purchased a new laptop not even a month ago. This is the laptop I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152817 The laptop has an Nvidia GeForce 970M GPU. A few days ago the GeForce Experience panel indicated there was a new driver so I updated it. Ever since my FPS on WoW were horrible. Normally I was getting 75-90 FPS on Ultra but after updating the FPS was jumpy and much lower, usually around 25-50, but jumped around a lot. 27, 55, 24, 47, etc. Made playing very irritating so I decided to fix this. The option to roll back the driver was greyed out so a friend suggested completing uninstalling the driver and reinstalling fresh. I've done this in the past with other computers so I uninstalled the driver and POOF! My computer no longer recognizes there's any video card other than the onboard one (Intel HD Graphics 5600). When I try just installing the driver it says "The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."

I've tried following a tutorial on how to fix this problem but I'm already running into difficulty.
The second step says:
"2) Under Other Devices/ (or if your video card already has a driver under Display Adapter) click on Video Adapter"

Well there is nothing listed as Other Devices and under Display Adapter the ONLY option is Intel(R) HD Graphics 5600. Plus when I read further on that tutorial it seems a bit more complex than I'd prefer to try myself. I will if I have to but... isn't there any other way to fix this? (Especially since I can't seem to even fix the problem this way anyway.)

Help!!! (please)

Sarramy

Estimable
Sep 15, 2015
I got it to recognize the GPU again. Yay! The frame rate problem is back though too. I'm reluctant to mess around with this much more now though. Any thoughts on how to fix the FPS problem?

Sarramy

Estimable
Sep 15, 2015
I solved the FPS problem too. I fixed it. Apparently my power settings had been changed to Power Saver. When I switched it to Balanced the FPS shot right back up where it belongs. Phew!