Laptop noise

midland

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
I just bought a compaq presario cq60-212us notebook pc and it makes are very low crackling sound alot of the time. I have never used a notebook before and just want to be sure this one is ok. Now I am in a quiet room and this noise is not very loud at all. Is this the sound it should make while running or what?

midland

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
I took the batter out after the first few hours of running the computer. I am plugged into the wall and have been since I first got the machine. I am not good at locating noises, yet it seems to me to be coming from where the speakers are. The speakers are built in right under the monitor. Right above the keyboard on the part that is touching the desk.

midland

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
It does it when the speakers are on mute you cannot hear it from headphones if you have them on I think it is the computer running it is real low, just worried. I never heard it on other laptops but I never really listened for noise

frozenlead

Distinguished
I'm less inclined to think it's the hard disk. It's got to be an audio or board problem. Hence the mute > no sound symptom.

Have you tried updating your audio drivers? Though it's more likely to be a hardware issue, it's worth a shot.

cheaptofix

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
so when you mute there's no sound?? oh then yeah it must be the speakers
your microphone is on high you need to mute the mic or lower the volume. if this doesn't help then it's the speakers and static electricity on the board

midland

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
It still makes the sound when the speakers are muted. It always makes it within the first five minutes of starting up the computer.

So just now I started computer and hear the sound. Then when windows screen comes up I mute speakers and still hear the sound. A couple minutes and sound stops. So I keep it muted and bring up 6 tabs of youtube videos to stress the system and now they are loading and It is not makeing the sound.

midland

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

yes it is empty

midland

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

yes it is empty

midland

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Sorry about the double post I cannot figure out how to delete it right now.

I think it is the hard drive because the sound is not happening right now and the
hard drive light is off.

Also the flashing of the drive light seems to be in sync with the noise on startup

frozenlead

Distinguished
This seems to contradict what you said about the mute button;

So when the mute button is on, does the noise go away always, or does it just seem to go away for a second, and continue in rhythm with the disk light?

cheaptofix

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
then it must be like I said before, have you owned a laptop before??? is this sound like..i don't know how to discribe it, like a very very fast ticking watch? does the sound happen when the red light flashes?

but at the end of the day this is going for too long this question, is there a problem? is it too high you cant use the laptop? is it realy realy annoying

is it like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZKUJNln7tA

midland

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
yes it sounds like that. No i have never owned a laptop. The sound happens when the light flashes, the light that hp calls the drive light. The sound happens the same whether the computer is on mute or not.