laptop not charging but bithe the battery and adapter-charger is seperately Ok

propcsanu

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Hi
My Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop showing some problems after almost 1 year 6 month of good usage.I plug in my laptop with the charger/adapter and sometimes there used to be errors such as 'plugged in not charging' . But that was a temporary problem and would get solved after a few switch on / off. Now from the last 3 days I am having a pecuiliar problem as my laptop cannot recognize the adapter / charger anymore. Now though my adapter has gone bad and therefore contacted a fried who has the exact same model of laptop to run a few self diagnosis tests.I found that my adapter is Ok it is detectebale in my friends laptopp and works fine . Next I swap the batteries and see that my battery is detectable and working fine in my friends laptop. Now I am confused as what is wrong with my laptop I mean the battery is fine , adapter / charger is fine but the adapter / charger is not recognizable in the laptop. Any ideas
San

Solution
It could just be the mains connector in the laptop which may, or may not be, soldered directly to the motherboard. Either way it should be repairable, though its not a DIY job without some experience of dismantling laptops.
Sounds like you'll need to take the laptop to a repair shop and get a quote, then decide if the laptop is worth repairing.

Barhumbug

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Could be the contacts between your laptop and the battery.
Remove the battery from your laptop and check the contacts in the laptop battery compartment are clean. Might be worth comparing them to your friends laptop?

propcsanu

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

Hi
Ya I figured that out,now I am not an expert in laptop internals. It is not like desktop that the power supply is a seperate module. I guess it ( the portion where the power jack is inserted in the laptop )is a part of the motherboard . In that case I am screwd as the laptop os out of warranty and I may be told to replace the mobo.
Any ideas?
Sanu

propcsanu

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

Hi
Ya I figured that out,now I am not an expert in laptop internals. It is not like desktop that the power supply is a seperate module. I guess it ( the portion where the power jack is inserted in the laptop )is a part of the motherboard . In that case I am screwd as the laptop os out of warranty and I may be told to replace the mobo.
Any ideas?
Sanu

Barhumbug

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
It could just be the mains connector in the laptop which may, or may not be, soldered directly to the motherboard. Either way it should be repairable, though its not a DIY job without some experience of dismantling laptops.
Sounds like you'll need to take the laptop to a repair shop and get a quote, then decide if the laptop is worth repairing.

Solution