Laptop not detecting NVIDIA GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve1003

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014
I've had my laptop for over a year, never had any display issues of any kind. Today when I awoke my laptop from hibernation, some programs I attempted to open would immediately crash. This happened for several different games, while things like Chrome and Word worked fine. I assumed my graphics drivers needed updated. I tried to open NVIDIA's own control panel, where (in my system tray) it said that a driver update was available. However, the panel had the same crash.

I Shut Down my system. Ate lunch. Came back and booted up. Everything ran fine....using the onboard Intel graphics. My NVIDIA card is nowhere to be found (I used DDU to uninstall my NVIDIA drivers, then NVIDIA's site to install the latest drivers, and NVIDIA told me that hardware could not be found). I'm not sure how this happens...maybe a corrupt driver? My laptop has literally not moved, so I can't imagine the physical card being knocked loose.

Any help would be appreciated.

Possibly useful specs

Processor: Intel(R) Core i7-4800MQ @ 2.70 GHz
RAM: 16.0 GB
64-bit Windows 7
Graphics card is NVIDIA Geforce 770M, 3GB

beni_rohit

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
im guessing its a Dell
well let me make it very clear
and please let it be once and for all
the GPU has stopped working
it is not a software issue
the only option you have is to get the motherboard replaced
thats it
i solved another problem here with the same problem
please dont listen to any other suggestions
youll be wasting time
if you still have your warranty..great
if not...youll have to spend on a new motherboard
exact same thing happened to my Inspiron n5110 as well

steve1003

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014

1. It's a Sager
2. You sound like you've had a bad experience, and I'm sorry for that.
3. I have read about other solutions to similar problems that don't involve full replacement and jumping to that conclusion without rigorous troubleshooting is not smart.

What I'm looking for from this thread is guidance in what I need to do to troubleshoot this problem. BIOS says that my VGA Adapter is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M. I'm not sure if that means it's detecting it or if that is just some predefined setting. Either way, Windows still has no clue that I have a graphics card, but it has now invented "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" in my Device Manager, which was never present before. I also have Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, which has always been there but I leave disabled so programs never tried to run with it instead of my NVIDIA card.

steve1003

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014
I wish I had some insight into what went wrong. However, my problem seems to be resolved. For anybody else, I'll briefly list everything I remember doing to try to fix this.

1. Civ V would not open, Shadows of Mordor would not open, Hearthstone would not open.
2. Attempted to update NVIDIA drivers; NVIDIA control panel would not open
3. Rebooted system.
4. System booted up using Intel graphics, NVIDIA graphics suddenly gone from my system entirely.
5. Disabled Intel graphics, used DDU to remove all NVIDIA drivers, then redownloaded NVIDIA drivers.
6. NVIDIA drivers did not recognize hardware and did not install.
7. Reboot system again. "VGA Default Graphics Adapter" magically appears.
8. Turn off computer. Remove cover. Stare in despair at my seemingly dead graphics card. Clean out a small amount of dust in my fans and cover.
9. Turn on computer. Attempt to reinstall NVIDIA drivers. Drivers magically install. VGA blah blah turns into NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770.

I imagine the actually repeatability of this comes down to...
1. Disable Intel graphics to force system to boot up using default graphics.
2. Uninstall NVIDIA drivers
3. Reboot system.
4. Install NVIDIA drivers.
5. Profit.

Good luck!

Kartik727

Estimable
Dec 10, 2015

Hi, same problem happened with me, and updating BIOS worked for me, actually I did not even update, I already had the latest version, and flashing the same version again worked for me.
Hopefully that helps

NOT_PROVIDED_570

Commendable
Feb 11, 2016
hello, so I was having the same problem. for me the solution was very simple. Just open your bios menu when you restarting your pc (in my case it was F2, i am using acer). in the bios menu go to MAIN then select the graphic card from integrated to swichible. Save and restart and all problems gone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.