So, I have been looking everywhere and I can't seem to find a solution. I have an asus laptop that I recently bought. I was using my headphones with a built in mic to make skype calls and everything worked perfectly. The laptop recognized the headphones AND their built in mic but suddenly it won't anymore.
What I mean is the laptop only sees the laptop's mic and will only use that one. I cannot select something else because it doesn't even show up. The headphones mic works fine in everything else. I updated the drivers and everything. Kinda at a loss. Thanks for reading.
If it's not working only with Skype you can narrow down the issue with it only. But do try these troubleshooting steps as well that may help.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the sound card driver.
- Reboot the laptop once the driver has been uninstalled and it should reinstall automatically.
- After the reboot check if the mic is being detected first.
- Right click on the speaker icon and click on Recording devices.
- See if there are 2 Microphone listed 1 should be the built in on and the other should be for the headphone mic.
- Right click on the headphone mic and click on Set Default.
- Open Skype then test it once again.