Laptop not starting up. Power cable making it start automatically.

petemoggy

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey guys, hope you can help me with this and hopefully I am just being foolish and the issue is simple to fix.

Make of machine Dell Inspiron 17R SE (7720) Notebook CPU: Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3 GHz (Turbo 3.0GHz) RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz [2 x 4GB] GPU1: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M - 2GB GPU2: Intel HD Graphics 4000 LCD: 17.3" 16:9, 1600x900 HDD: WDC Scorpio Blue 1TB
Power supply used OUTPUT: DC 19.5V 4.62A 90W

Here is a video of what happens when I try and start the system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl_SJ7b1k3s&feature=youtu.be

Basically, the battery is dead - so I have been told - which means it doesn't start up, just get a few lights for a couple of seconds and dead. When I plug in the machine it starts automatically but the power button does not respond. From there there is no charging light or any reaction.

Any idea what the issue is? Would appreciate any input heaps :)

I have tried removing the battery and power cable, pressing the power button for 30 seconds then trying again, same issue.

I tried removing the HDD and RAM then reinstalling, still nothing.

I removed the CMOS battery and put in a new one and the machine started acting a little different, with same result for battery but the power cable just had the power button light stay on until I unplugged it... then it reverted to the same issue again.

So... not sure what next to try or where the fault may lie.

Solution
Does the fan begin to run when you plug in the adapter and it lights up or no fan sound at all? If no fan sound at all, it's probably shutting back down due to thermal protection. If the system knows the fan is not running at startup, it may immediately shut down to protect itself from thermal damage. If that's the case you'll need to install a new fan or correct the wiring issue from the fan to its power source. I've seen any number of things cause the fan to fail but it's usually just the little fan motor itself is burned out.
Does the fan begin to run when you plug in the adapter and it lights up or no fan sound at all? If no fan sound at all, it's probably shutting back down due to thermal protection. If the system knows the fan is not running at startup, it may immediately shut down to protect itself from thermal damage. If that's the case you'll need to install a new fan or correct the wiring issue from the fan to its power source. I've seen any number of things cause the fan to fail but it's usually just the little fan motor itself is burned out.

Solution