Solved! Laptop not turning on , after complete shutdown (probably GPU related)

Rockito912

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017
Let's start. This is an Acer aspire 5541g laptop (pretty old one). When the power button is pressed the light turns on, but I get completely black screen (no logo, nothing) and it stays like that. If left running like this it starts to heat up(I have no idea why). I came to the conclusion its a faulty GPU, so I took advantage of that heating up ^ and intentionally blocked the fans so it can heat up and helped it with the hair drier on the GPU heatsink (not the most elegant solution i know). After that the laptop actually powered up and booted normally. After it booted up, I have been using it for weeks. I have been stress testing it , benchmarking the GPU for hours, it never BSOD'ed or restarted, it ran like a champ. Now the curious part. If I use windows to issue a restart command it goes through it fine, it boots up like normal, BUT if i shut it down and then try to power it back up it wont start, unless i do the heating thing all over again. Why does the laptop work flawlessly, but if shut down completely it wont power on ? Is this how a broken GPU behaves ? Yet if its broken ... it works too well...(as i said no errors or blue screens for hours of League , and unigine Heaven runs for full nights).

Solution
Well, the GPU, if not making good contact, the heating may well be correcting this. Also, it is possible that a solder joint, trace, component on the motherboard is not functioning correctly/connecting, and only kicks in with heat.

In this case you would either have to replace the GPU, or at least check its connections, or you may well need to replace the motherboard.
Well, the GPU, if not making good contact, the heating may well be correcting this. Also, it is possible that a solder joint, trace, component on the motherboard is not functioning correctly/connecting, and only kicks in with heat.

In this case you would either have to replace the GPU, or at least check its connections, or you may well need to replace the motherboard.

Solution

Rockito912

Commendable
Jan 16, 2017

Yeah, but why if a component is broken the laptop works fine once it powers up. Even after left over night idle(the temperature was close to room and the laptop was still running). I can't make sense of what is wrong with it. While its perfectly running if I power it down and try to instantly turn it on again, it wouldn't power back up. There were no variables since it was running 1 second ago. Why wouldn't it power on....