Laptop not turning on and making a burning smell when you try

2000Kid

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Ok so my brother just gave me a HP envy touchsmart 17 without a battery and said he couldn't get it working so I could have it and try to do whatever, so for the past couple of hours ive been messing with it seeing what I could do and all, but nothing all I know is that nothing will turn on (besides the light to let you know its charging when you plug it up) and when you press the power button it starts making a slight burning smell. oh and he also said he had it outside and the air was moist if that helps any. anyways thx for any help!

hang-the-9

Titan
The power adapter could be bad, the charger could be bad, motherboard could be bad. Open it and check for corrosion or other damage to the system board. Burning smell usually means dead electronics. If it's just the power plug that can be replaced of the full motherboard you won't know till you check on them.

hang-the-9

Titan
The power adapter could be bad, the charger could be bad, motherboard could be bad. Open it and check for corrosion or other damage to the system board. Burning smell usually means dead electronics. If it's just the power plug that can be replaced of the full motherboard you won't know till you check on them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Manmcmanman Laptop Tech Support 1
TCG1_QC Laptop Tech Support 6
O Laptop Tech Support 1
blisterbug Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 0
L Laptop Tech Support 1
U Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
Z Laptop Tech Support 3
C Laptop Tech Support 8