Laptop not working unless plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2018
so up until today my laptop was completely fine. I opened it up and unplugged the batterry from the motherboard because someone told me this is always a good idea when opening up the laptop and working on it. I did not change any parts or anything like that. Just cleaned out some dust using only a can of compressed air.
After plugging the battery cable back into the motherboard and putting the back plate back on. The laptop doesnt boot unless it is plugged into the charger. Furthermore, while it is on with the charger plugged in, if i unplug the charger it shuts down immediately. Its as though it doesnt not know it can use the battery.

In addition, i am almost certain the battery doesnt need replacing, ive had the laptop for ony 1 year and battery was still great while it worked. so im assuming theres a setting somehwere in bios or control panel to fix this?

In device manager it says both my battery devices are working properly and the drivers are up to date.

Also, when i click on the battery icon through the little arrow on the bottom right of my task bar, it reads 100%. Plugged in and discharging.
So while it is plugged in it is getting its power straight from the wall.

On the motherbaord near the battery are 2 small buttons. One of them says "reset 1" and the other isnt labelled.

Thanks! hope you can help :D
that is about all the info i could provide

Solution
Jun 21, 2018
solved! for anyone else having the same issue where it isnt the baterry's condition here what i did. im not sure exactly what fixed it because i tried multiple things but here are a few.
1. going into device manager disabling the battery (not the ac one) restarting, enabling again then restarting

2. opening up unplugging battery(just the main power supply cable, not any of the ribbon cables if they are even for the battery) , holding the power on button for 60 seconds. Plugging laptop into charger whilst the battery is still unplugged and launching into desktop. Shutting down. Putt battery back in again and worked!

If still doesnt work for you, i realised youtube has a lot of solutions for this kind of error incase some forums don't

YoFavRussian

Estimable
Nov 4, 2014

I'd almost believe it's because the battery wasn't entirely plugged back in the first time around. But after unplugging and holding the power button, you honestly probably reseated the battery connector, and it made better contact.

Solution
Jul 16, 2019
solved! for anyone else having the same issue where it isnt the baterry's condition here what i did. im not sure exactly what fixed it because i tried multiple things but here are a few.
1. going into device manager disabling the battery (not the ac one) restarting, enabling again then restarting

2. opening up unplugging battery(just the main power supply cable, not any of the ribbon cables if they are even for the battery) , holding the power on button for 60 seconds. Plugging laptop into charger whilst the battery is still unplugged and launching into desktop. Shutting down. Putt battery back in again and worked!

If still doesnt work for you, i realised youtube has a lot of solutions for this kind of error incase some forums don't
Hi Ross,
I have got the same issue after I replaced RAM. Now trying to follow your steps but I dont get the second phase "unplugging battery just main power supply cable" - do you mean just pull the plug? IF SO than the further steps dont make sense "plugging back into charger WHILE the battery is still unplugged / IF NOT I dont know what connection you are mentioning

Status
Not open for further replies.