Laptop 'on' light working but not much else

molarmite

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2015
I've had my Lenovo Yoga 13 for about 5 years and it's worked really great up until about a few months ago. When I would press the power button, the light would come on, everything would work but the screen wouldn't turn on. I'd turn the laptop off and turn it back on again (sometimes I would have to repeat this process 2 or 3 times) but it would turn on and everything would be working. Oddly enough, it would only turn back on when it was unplugged from the charger.

But the past couple of days, I've tried turning it off and on a dozen times with no luck. I've plugged it into my monitor but my screen doesn't recognize anything is on. I can hear the fan on in my laptop, but it's really faint and I can only hear it when my ear is right up to it. Obviously this problem has been months in the making and whatever wrong with it has failed. Anyone know what this could be? I was just curious if it was something I could fix before I had to buy a new one.

Solution
When you connected the external monitor did you make sure to do so while the laptop was off? That is important. If you did, skip the first steps and check the lower info. If, however, you didn't, try the steps first.

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the...
When you connected the external monitor did you make sure to do so while the laptop was off? That is important. If you did, skip the first steps and check the lower info. If, however, you didn't, try the steps first.

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution