Laptop overheated when watching Twitch Streams

XxAnimeBoyxX

Estimable
May 18, 2014
Hey guys, so basically my problem is this: My laptop which happens to be a dell latitude e6400 the one with the integrated Intel graphics. Its a solid laptop and serves me well yet for some odd reason whenever I go to twitch.tv to watch a stream my laptop gets extremely hot after 10-20 minutes. As a few points before you get to answering
1. My laptop is kinda old, so the thermal paste of the heat-sink most likely needs replacing but I don't think that's the cause as that would only be a 10 degree difference at most.

2. There is no dust in the fan or anywhere else for that matter, I have cleaned it and it looks new.

3. I'm using the laptop on my lap. I know where the vents are at and i keep them away from anything so they can circulate air.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, all I want to do is watch some streams without burning my leg off.

Solution

KyleADunn

Estimable
Jul 8, 2014

Hey there,

As a step of troubleshooting, could we go ahead and verify that the CPU isn't overheating? Check the temps with a program like CoreTemp while watching a stream for a while. Tell us the pre-stream (Idle) temp and the temp while watching for 5-10 minutes.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

XxAnimeBoyxX

Estimable
May 18, 2014

Im using Ubuntu Linux. Is there any CPU temp checkers out there that support Linux? Tried to use your recommended program with WINE but it wouldnt play nice.

KyleADunn

Estimable
Jul 8, 2014

http://askubuntu.com/questions/15832/how-do-i-get-the-cpu-temperature

Could that a try, I'll see if there's another program if that doesn't work for you, though

XxAnimeBoyxX

Estimable
May 18, 2014

Thanks its working at idle my temps for core 0 were 48.0 C and CPU 1 is at 47.0 C. Keep in mind this is with 5 tabs open on google chrome and skype open. Now when watching a stream for 10 mins with skype closed and only 2 tabs open it flops between 64ish to around 78 C. Laptop starts lagging too and its pretty hot.
Update: its staying around the 65 degree mark but the laptop it self is still hot and lags a lot

KyleADunn

Estimable
Jul 8, 2014

Based on your laptop model, I went ahead and assumed your CPU is a Core 2 Duo. The Core 2 Duo's have built-in protection that'll shut them off once they hit about 82c, and you're very near there at 78c. I'm betting you hit the 82 after prolonged usage and that's the problem you're having.

I suggest reapplying new thermal paste.

Solution

XxAnimeBoyxX

Estimable
May 18, 2014

Thanks I will do so. But I updated my previous post and stated its stands around the 65 Degree or below mark sometimes dipping into the high 50's. I closed the stream and went back to a constant 51 degrees.