Laptop overheating issue

sarpmis

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
OK. First of all i don't know if this is the right place for this, so sorry if it isn't.

Here's the thing, i have a laptop that overheats and shuts itself down while playing games and it's always hot!

Here are the specs

intel i7 2670QM 2.2Ghz
6 GB RAM
Nvidia GT520m graphics card.

The operating system is Windows 7 64 bit.

I know that it's not a gaming laptop, but it's not that bad actually, can handle almost every game on low or medium, sometimes on high.

Now back to my problem, it's always hot, even hotter when playing games. It's always been so, but now it started to shut itself down after playing for (up to) 30 minutes. I've been all over the internet trying to find a solution and couldn't find one.

I downloaded Speed Fan and checked the temperatures while gaming and doing nothing.

GPU 65C
HDO 38C
Temp1 73C
Cores 72C

in game they all go up to 93-98 except for hdo.

Now, other people with the same system say they get max 70 in-game and much lower temperatures like 30-50. Something is obviously wrong but what? :( There hasn't been any changes in fan sound or anything? Does anyone have an idea?

zdbc13

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Laptops suck in dust all the time and it clogs up the cooling system. I suggest blowing out the dust through the vents by the cpu with canned air. If this does not fix the problem you may have to remove the cpu heatsink and re-seat it with new thermal compound. A little complicated. Also, maybe a laptop cooling surface would help, the kind with fans on a plate that goes under the laptop. Good luck...

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Laptop systems become unstable at around 70º, which is actually way too hot for idle. You should be at 35 to 45 idle, even less. Now, the guy above gave you the right answer, but you shouldn't push your laptop any further until you solved this, you risk corrupting your OS or damaging components. Lets hope not, but it is probably that your cpu wont work as good new due to all that heat.

TRENDING THREADS