Laptop overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Had a similar problem with my aspire 5520. Got it this week with a broken screen yanked an old screen from a dead dell, works great, but graphics card was idling in the 90's. I removed the thermal pad, was able to bend the heatpipe a little so that the heatsink made better contact with my gpu. GPU temps dropped by about 30 degrees celcius. Sometimes temps on gpu goes to about 70 degrees celcius, but way cooler than 95. You may have luck with using copper shims between the heatsink and gpu/cpu. But bending the heatpipe did the trick for me along with new thermal paste. But be careful as you can break the heatpipe if you aren't careful.

As suggested though, air dust the fan and ducts and you may see a good improvement.

Example of...

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Depends. If the paste is fine, then no, you're not going to see much, if any, improvement. Changing the paste in a laptop is also a major pain in the ass, and not something I'd do unless I was damn sure I needed to.

Is the laptop overheating while sitting in your lap? If so, you're probably blocking exhaust ports. If the laptop can't exhaust the hot air, it's going to overheat no matter what you've got cooling it.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Had a similar problem with my aspire 5520. Got it this week with a broken screen yanked an old screen from a dead dell, works great, but graphics card was idling in the 90's. I removed the thermal pad, was able to bend the heatpipe a little so that the heatsink made better contact with my gpu. GPU temps dropped by about 30 degrees celcius. Sometimes temps on gpu goes to about 70 degrees celcius, but way cooler than 95. You may have luck with using copper shims between the heatsink and gpu/cpu. But bending the heatpipe did the trick for me along with new thermal paste. But be careful as you can break the heatpipe if you aren't careful.

As suggested though, air dust the fan and ducts and you may see a good improvement.

Example of copper shims

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-dv2000-dv6000-dv9000-tx1000-V6000-Copper-Pad-Shim-3x-/270720898893?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0839174d

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.