Laptop power on but screen, usb, or touchpad not workin

asiahdai

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
My son unplugged our toshiba satellite laptop to vacuum, never plugged back in. It was on. When I came home from work, I plugged it back in and turned it on. It sounds like it's turning on but screen is black. The usb ports are not responding so it seems, and the touchpad doesn't seem to work. What works, CD drive seems to activate when putting in disks, power light and battery lights come on. I am stumped. I tried unplugging and taking out the battery and holding the power button down for a while, also tried with the little reset button. Tried reseating the ram. Everything seems connected and not loose. Tried plugging into another screen, nothing. Just says no signal. Help.

Solution
Try pressing Windws + P to make sure you are not on a view mode that is affecting you.

However the usb ports not working and an external monitor not working is leading me to believe that your motherboard has a hardware issue.
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

asiahdai

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

I tried this but didn't work. But usb ports aren't working. I tried a headset with usb plugin but you don't get the confirming beep that says yes I'm working. How can I be sure the hdmi plugin is working??

You need to determine if the ports are working first.

Go into "Control Panel" and then into "Device Manager". Locate the items you are checking (HDMI, USB, etc.) and double click to open that areas drop down. When you locate the one you are going to check, right click on it and then click "Scan for hardware changes" to see if anything in them has been changed, if they are no longer detected, etc.

asiahdai

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

Black screen still though.

Qhemist

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017
Try pressing Windws + P to make sure you are not on a view mode that is affecting you.

However the usb ports not working and an external monitor not working is leading me to believe that your motherboard has a hardware issue.

Solution