Laptop problem: wifi appears for a second then disappears

fatsoh

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
When I try to connect to wifi it works fine for a minute but then it disconnects and I can't reconnect because the connection disappeared.

laptop is an acer aspire

Solution
See if the commented cause and solutions in the article, work for you.
1. Disable NetBios Service
2. Rewrite the Winsock
3. Reset the router

It says there the connection lease expires in an hour but I have experienced it lasting only seconds... so the fix may also work for you.

Solved: DNS client lease expires every hour, or 30 minutes.
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dns-client-lease-expires-every-hour-or-30-minutes-router-hates-vista-clien.856934/

However, things look good for now. Here's the point: Disabling the NetBIOS connection (and its service through the services.msc box), rewriting the Winsock settings with netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and...

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
See if the commented cause and solutions in the article, work for you.
1. Disable NetBios Service
2. Rewrite the Winsock
3. Reset the router

It says there the connection lease expires in an hour but I have experienced it lasting only seconds... so the fix may also work for you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dns-client-lease-expires-every-hour-or-30-minutes-router-hates-vista-clien.856934/

However, things look good for now. Here's the point: Disabling the NetBIOS connection (and its service through the services.msc box), rewriting the Winsock settings with netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and adding this command (see quote below). apparently solved the short DHCP lease. I'll give out first the "ipconfig /allcompartments /all" results first.

C:\Users\The Kitty's Box>ipconfig /allcompartments /all

Solution

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Also see if you can connect to the Internet in Safe Mode with Networking:

Right after the BIOS beep; Press F8 every second or hold down the key till the Safe Mode options list appears on the screen, > Select Safe Mode with Networking > Try browsing the Internet.