Solved! Laptop random shutdowns (not overheating) and power button broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2020
So I have a gaming laptop, the Dell 15 inspiron 7557 and I've been having random shutdowns while gaming. The specs will be listed at the end of the thread.

I'm almost 100% sure that this is not due overheating. I have undervolted the cpu in XTu from intel with -0,120V. Turned off turboboost, the thermal paste has been changed and the laptop is elevated with a coolerpad beneath. Also the fans have been cleaned weekly.I have taken all the precautions to prevent overheating. The shutdowns appear randomly, it's not always but for example I can play Forza Horizon 4 sometimes without a problem while it is reaching 85 degrees. But while playing league of legends for example, it has happened several times that the laptop would shutdown while not even reaching 65C.

I've had this problem since a few months. A time ago i spilled coffee on the laptop. I went to a technician and made him clean it up and change the broken parts. Mind you, the shutdowns appeared even before the spillage. The thing is, my power button wasnt working after the spill, so I need to pull out the ac charger in order for the laptop to boot up. A few weeks ago when i cleaned the vents, the power button randomly started working again, and the shutdowns didnt happen at all. Now I cleaned the fans again a few days ago ago and the power button wasnt working anymore and the shutdowns began to appear again. So i think might be related to the power button but im not sure. I dont feel confortable dissembling this laptop cuz with this model its way too hard. 2 different repair shops opened the laptop and told all the hardware was intact.

The thing is, when the battery is inside the laptop and the ac adapter isnt connected, the laptop boots up automatically. But it doesnt boot up when the charger is connected. If I take the battery out of the laptop, it boots up when i connect the charger. It seems a specific problem related to the power button not working or the voltage circuit. I just can't pinpoint what it could be exactly and neither could the repair shop.

Could this be a hardware or software issue? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Specs:
Intel i7 7700HQ
16GB ram
Gtx 1060 max Q (6gb)
256gb SSD
1TB HDD

Solution
either you or him reseat the cable that goes to the power button board. you might have to get a new cable or power button board tho not certain. can check ebay or amazon for 1 but i prefer ebay for stuff like that.
Jun 12, 2020
take the laptop back to the 1st technician to correct the power button that he messed up if it was working alright before the 1st visit.
It broke after coffee spillage, the technician didnt fix it, i think he didnt detect it broken, the same as the bluetooth driver also broken but he didn't detect it.. after all i only payed for taking apart the laptop and cleaning

Jun 12, 2020
Last edited by a moderator:

ffg7

Splendid
either you or him reseat the cable that goes to the power button board. you might have to get a new cable or power button board tho not certain. can check ebay or amazon for 1 but i prefer ebay for stuff like that.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.