Solved! Laptop randomly turning off

silverbee59

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018
Hello. For the past week my laptop has turned off three times randomly without me doing anything to trigger it. Whenever it went to sleep / shut down it would play a sound kind of similar to the windows 10 notification sound and after opening it the same apps would be there as if nothing happened.

The first time it happened was when i left it on overnight to download a file from google drive. The file was downloaded and in event viewer there was a record where two hours after I went to sleep the system went to sleep. Next one happened when I had firefox and krita open. I was doodling before it suddenly turned off. No records found in event viewer that mentioned it went to sleep. Lastly, happened again earlier. Went to sleep for three hours and left the laptop on with only steam open. I woke up and used it for an hour, only had firefox running then it turned off. Still no record in event viewer.

I've scanned the system with malwarebytes and avira, came clean. Thought maybe it overheated, the laptop wasn't hot when touched nor did it have hot air blowing out of the fans. Made sure to turn off hibernation and sleep in the power options but that didn't help. Used lenovo companion to check if it was a hardware problem, nothing either.

My laptop's specs are: Intel core i5-7300hq, 8gb ram, and a gtx 1050 if that helps
Any help would be appreciated.

silverbee59

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018
Yes, but I also set things related to sleep and hibernate to either never or off in the plan settings and advanced power settings. Which shows in the other images.

If that didn't resolve it, then you likely have something on the computer that is the cause. Perhaps a software conflict.

In command prompt try running the following... schtasks /query /v /fo LIST

If nothing is listed there that could be causing the problem, then you may want to perform a clean boot (not a clean install). The info on how to do that can be found here...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

silverbee59

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018
Didn't find anything in schtasks nor when in clean boot. I retried your 1st suggestion by putting everything back to default then changing them again and it's been working so far, sorry for replying so late and thanks for the help.