Laptop recommendation for £1000

Gullanian

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
1. What is your budget?

£1,000, although willing to spend more if it's going to give a good value jump in performance

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Would prefer a large laptop with a big screen

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Big as possible

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Big and heavy is fine

5. How much battery life do you need?

Not much, it's pretty much always going to have power nearby

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Our only requirement is that is doesn't have Intel graphics! (Very important for us!)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

This will be used for software development. It needs to have a fast CPU over anything else to compile projects as fast as possible.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Not much, but we want an SSD. 128GB is more than we need.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Just models are fine, we'll figure out where to buy from

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Doesn't matter really, 2 years would be fine

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

None

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Had bad experiences with Toshiba, would prefer not to buy from them again

13. What country do you live in?

England

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer! We've been looking at Vaio's which seem good. Also please note we can spend more if the price hike is justified by extra performance.

These laptops will be used for software development mainly, so for this reason it must have:

- SSD (min 128gb)
- Fast CPU

It musn't have:

- Intel graphics!

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
The Eurocom Race from http://eurocom.com/ looks to fit what you want. I chose the 6990m graphics card, and the i7-2760QM cpu, and the 128gb ssd on there, and it came to 1481 EU. Looks like a winner to me.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Then again, the panther 2.0 from that site has the gtx675m graphics card available, which will easily outperform the 6990m. That with the ssd will run you 1503 EU.

Gullanian

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Hey thanks for the recommendation. They do look good, one thing I forgot to mention though is we need one for a conference coming up in 2 weeks. That site doesn't look like it would be able to ship to UK within 2 weeks