Laptop recommendation

fedelm

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I'm looking to replace my 3 1/2 year old laptop (which for some reason keeps powering itself off at random and at startup), I already have a gaming desktop rig and don't need a poweful laptop.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent work / study laptop, perhaps some video playback and streaming.

I'm having the most trouble trying to find an adequate processor, since I don't know the first thing about mobile components.

Thanks a lot!!!

fedelm

fedelm

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Oh, sorry about that!

Here are the answers:

1. What is your budget?

Circa 500 U$S; 600 is a strech but I think I can manage.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Definately not netbook sized. I'm thinking 14''/ 15'' ???

3. What screen resolution do you want?

I don't really know. The higher the better I guess.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?

Around 1:30-2 hrs.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

No, not any new games. I have a desktop for that purpose. In any case, I would only play some older games I really like (eg Civ 4), nothing too taxing.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Video watching and streaming, work / study.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Nothing short of 320gb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

None in particular. ¿Ebay?

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

I reckon it would be great if I could get 2-3 years off it, it's what I managed to pull on my current one.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Bluray would be nice, but I don't think one will be available for that price range anyway.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I currently have an HP and hasn't let me down (until very recently).

On the other hand, I have seen toshibas malfunction and overheat all the time, I can account for at least 3 different laptops having the same overheating issues. So I'm not really interested in this brand.

13. What country do you live in?

Argentina

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Thanks!!!!

fedelm

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Oh yes, they sure are. I try to get them abroad whenever I get the chance; I might be travelling soon so I'd like to seize the opportunity.

My rule of thumb is: In argentina you get half the PC power for double de price.

Thanks!